Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

26 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I wonder if there are two seasons off, if there won’t be a natural attrition.  People just falling away and doing other things.  

Took off 1993-2002. After the first season of doing the “what would I be doing now if I was following corps” (like the one thread) bit I hardly thought about it. And only came back due to a couple of coincidences. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I know you asked Jeff and not me but...lol...I can tell you it is happening already , in small amounts but more time can increase that I think

Two years is a long time.  And after all this, people may decide that it’s more important to do and see other things.  

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I know you asked Jeff and not me but...lol...I can tell you it is happening already , in small amounts but more time can increase that I think

Well there are other pure joys of summer. If I never see it again I wouldn’t feel like I missed anything.  

Edited by Poppycock
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Well there are other pure joys of summer. If I never see it again I wouldn’t feel like I missed anything.  

I think there are those who NEVER had a summer off in their lifetime may be finding that out. Even with restrictions at this time

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Two years is a long time.  And after all this, people may decide that it’s more important to do and see other things.  

Yes 100% right...Maybe, it will weed out some of us who have been around since dirt who may realize there might be more to life..lol..

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

if DCI says they are going to run events, and people stay away, the activity is ####ed.

well yes. I am curious as to folks opinion as to what everyone thinks about whether or not the changes we see now in peoples choices to gather will stay the same or change over time. The conrete comments are obvious, but I am not that interested in re-affirming that 1 + 1 = 2.  🙂

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I wonder if there are two seasons off, if there won’t be a natural attrition.  People just falling away and doing other things.  

Not sure. may be some, probably older fans

7 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I think there are those who NEVER had a summer off in their lifetime may be finding that out. Even with restrictions at this time

this is the first summer since birth in 1969 there is no drum corps in my life of any form...fan, participant, staff.....and as we approach finals, i'm missing it. especially since i am trying to be good and not travel all over the place, being stuck at home gets old. i may drive to Allentown this weekend just to go stand at Pineville for a bit, and think of friends past

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

this is the first summer since birth in 1969 there is no drum corps in my life of any form...fan, participant, staff.....and as we approach finals, i'm missing it. especially since i am trying to be good and not travel all over the place, being stuck at home gets old. i may drive to Allentown this weekend just to go stand at Pineville for a bit, and think of friends past

I hear ya,  From birth here too .iI'm kind of liking it though. lol These are strange times for sure and the near future isn't looking much better. Hope is all we can do I guess.

.stay safe when you venture out.