Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

9 hours ago, rysa4 said:

well yes. I am curious as to folks opinion as to what everyone thinks about whether or not the changes we see now in peoples choices to gather will stay the same or change over time. The conrete comments are obvious, but I am not that interested in re-affirming that 1 + 1 = 2.  🙂

You mean this one?

16 hours ago, rysa4 said:

So I guess I should have been more specific. Regardless of testing, many people right now have altered their habits as far as large indoor events and attendance. Heck won't go back to a theater even when this all gets to a better place. If 20% of the population changes their habits, and says " NO thanks, I'm good" and eschews going out much for public entertainment. Will these changes of choice stick, or will they pretty much go away?

I think people will generally return to gatherings post-pandemic, as we always have in the past.  

The likelihood of a behavior change sticking among 20% of the population depends on the circumstances.  For instance, work-from-home might stick to that extent because it has other incentives in its favor (i.e. companies saving $$$ on office space, employees saving $$$ on commuting).  Of course, that is only possible for jobs that can be performed remotely. 

For something where the remote experience cannot replicate the in-person experience, the in-person experience would have to continue.  Videos of roller-coaster riding will not replace the real thing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I hear ya,  From birth here too .iI'm kind of liking it though. lol These are strange times for sure and the near future isn't looking much better. Hope is all we can do I guess.

.stay safe when you venture out.

if i weren't trapped at home for work, it'd be less of an issue

• Like 1

Thinking of how long people’s attitudes and behavior stuck after 9/11. Then bye bye to the we’re all in this together feeling.

IMO changes driven by CV will last a lot longer. More people affected and more people know someone who was affected. And as people don’t go to events they will get used to not going and will be harder to start up again. As someone who walked away from DC for 10 years only the first year is kind of tough. After that you hardly think about it. And if WGI and DC has two seasons in a year cancelled out....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

39 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thinking of how long people’s attitudes and behavior stuck after 9/11. Then bye bye to the we’re all in this together feeling.

IMO changes driven by CV will last a lot longer. More people affected and more people know someone who was affected. And as people don’t go to events they will get used to not going and will be harder to start up again. As someone who walked away from DC for 10 years only the first year is kind of tough. After that you hardly think about it. And if WGI and DC has two seasons in a year cancelled out....

Drum corps had four seasons disrupted by World War II.

14 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Drum corps had four seasons disrupted by World War II.

Define “season”... have records of what some corps did during WWII. The big American Legion and VFW national conventions were not held but corps were still active, mainly doing war morale work. Parades, concerts, patriotic rally’s, fund raisers, etc. point is corps were still active and in the local public eye. Info taken from histories of Madison Scouts, Racine Scouts, Kilties, Boys of 76 and Hanover Lancers.

Another big difference IMO, after WWII people felt safe being around groups of people. No idea when that might happen today even after a vaccine.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Define “season”... have records of what some corps did during WWII. The big American Legion and VFW national conventions were not held but corps were still active, mainly doing war morale work. Parades, concerts, patriotic rally’s, fund raisers, etc. point is corps were still active and in the local public eye. Info taken from histories of Madison Scouts, Racine Scouts, Kilties, Boys of 76 and Hanover Lancers.

Another big difference IMO, after WWII people felt safe being around groups of people. No idea when that might happen today even after a vaccine.

Correction - the AL and VFW still held state and national conventions, but they were scaled down to reduce costs and conserve resources in respect of the war effort.  As part of that pullback, the drum corps contests associated with those conventions were not held.  While parades were still staged for public morale, participation was more locally limited as corps joined the rest of society in rationing fuel.

And I define "season" as it applies to the activity of drum corps field contests.

3 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Correction - the AL and VFW still held state and national conventions, but they were scaled down to reduce costs and conserve resources in respect of the war effort.  As part of that pullback, the drum corps contests associated with those conventions were not held.  While parades were still staged for public morale, participation was more locally limited as corps joined the rest of society in rationing fuel.

And I define "season" as it applies to the activity of drum corps field contests.

Ok that’s clearer. And I should have been clearer on what the conventions were like. My point was corps were still active in some ways and were able to keep some members. Can’t even do that currently.

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok that’s clearer. And I should have been clearer on what the conventions were like. My point was corps were still active in some ways and were able to keep some members. Can’t even do that currently.

Judging from the online activity some corps are developing (classes, virtual performances, etc.), and the guaranteed 2021 spots for 2020 contracted members, it appears that some corps are doing what you described there.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

UPDATE:  The key to defeating COVID-19, re-opening, & returning to a normal DCI season, is the alien contribution to the pharmaceutical effort.  "So let it written; so let it be done."

If you have a funny dog video featuring succubi and incubi, I don't think we want to see it.

• Haha 2