Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

The vaccines are coming, but their implementation will be slow, starting with front line medical workers and then being phased in for other segments of the population.

School boards will remain extremely wary about the safety of their staffs and the legal implications of opening their facilities for the use of large groups of strangers from across the country. While a few might bite the bullet i think the vast majority will still be in the "sorry, ask us again next year" category. I think we simply won't have the infrastructure available to run a tour even if the instructional staffs and members are willing to take a chance.

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

School boards will remain extremely wary about the safety of their staffs and the legal implications of opening their facilities for the use of large groups of strangers from across the country. While a few might bite the bullet i think the vast majority will still be in the "sorry, ask us again next year" category. I think we simply won't have the infrastructure available to run a tour even if the instructional staffs and members are willing to take a chance.

Yeah, no one wants to be the first (aka the guinea pig) to open up to strangers and take a chance with their own students (aka kids of taxpayers and voters). More I’m thinking 2021 will be slowly head toward what used to be normal. But like 9/11 we’re never going back to the way things were before.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yeah, no one wants to be the first (aka the guinea pig) to open up to strangers and take a chance with their own students (aka kids of taxpayers and voters). More I’m thinking 2021 will be slowly head toward what used to be normal. But like 9/11 we’re never going back to the way things were before.

I can tell you from personal experience,right now schools are reluctant to let any outside group use their facilities.

One school district made their own town's police department  jump through hopes to hold a promotion ceremony the school gym.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I can tell you from personal experience,right now schools are reluctant to let any outside group use their facilities.

One school district made their own town's police department  jump through hopes to hold a promotion ceremony the school gym.

hell indoor groups in my area can't even get into their own gyms...like worse than normal

• Thanks 1

I don't think there will be a 2021 season; planning for 2022 would probably be for the best. If there is anything; I think the average size of all corps that decide to proceed would be kept to a minimum. In speculation, world class corps might have to go back to the years of 90-128 members until things even resemble a "back to normal" scenario. 

16 hours ago, corps8294 said:

I don't think there will be a 2021 season; planning for 2022 would probably be for the best. If there is anything; I think the average size of all corps that decide to proceed would be kept to a minimum. In speculation, world class corps might have to go back to the years of 90-128 members until things even resemble a "back to normal" scenario. 

If this years season is lost to covid it will be the end for some drum corps. In Kansas, Schools in the suburbs have been in person since the start of the season. Only Kansas City schools have waited to open in person. There have been some hiccups but nothing like what was predicted on spreading the disease. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

If this years season is lost to covid it will be the end for some drum corps. In Kansas, Schools in the suburbs have been in person since the start of the season. Only Kansas City schools have waited to open in person. There have been some hiccups but nothing like what was predicted on spreading the disease. 

It appears from the poll the consensus is no season in 2021 or possibly 2022.  What does the financial forecast look like for corps for 2020? It can't be good news. Is Drum Corps an activity that can go into hibernation for 2 or 3 seasons and expect to come back? Compare this to sports that are continuing on with seasons at the high school, college and professional levels. Why not give it a try to come back in 2021 at some capacity? The fear I have is that there will be no corps at any level to make a comeback with. 

32 minutes ago, WilsonStaff said:

It appears from the poll the consensus is no season in 2021 or possibly 2022. The fear I have is that there will be no corps at any level to make a comeback with. 

Once the great reset is completed we will see who is left. Regardless those naughty little Devils will be the front runners again taking all the toys back to Cali. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1