Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )


Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

109 members have voted

  1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

    • Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
      58
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.
      51


Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Small world, I went to school in fairfax county. My permanent residence is still there. 

The increase in failures is more of a failure of the kids and parents than the teachers. What happened to personal responsibility? Not sure why kids have to be coddled in order to not fail their classes. 

I was never one of those types who could pay attention in class. Pretty much depended on textbooks and powerpoints to teach me everything. But I digress. 

I will personally admit that virtual learning disproportionately hurts lower income families more than anyone else. There is absolutely no doubt about that. But the disparity between low income and high income families in education will always remain, it's a matter of how big that gap is. The stay at home measures are only temporary. One year of lower quality public education will not make or break anyone's future, but losing one's parents early on to COVID-19 can. Losing thousands of teachers (due to worker strikes and infections) when this country already has a teacher shortage can. 

The temporary decrease in education quality is more than worth the decrease in chances of spreading this virus, in my opinion. 

 

By the way, I do take exception to the accusation of racism for supporting virtual learning. Especially as a minority myself from the same country you linked. 

 

Science disagrees with you. Fauci is science right? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it's tough. i am married to an elementary teacher. She misses her kids, and she knows this isn't going to help them...but she's also terrified she could catch it from a kid whose family is spreading i

i don't expect anything.

Yes 100% right...Maybe, it will weed out some of us who have been around since dirt who may realize there might be more to life..lol..

Just now, O'Neal's said:

Don't believe I called you racist. I said it was racist behavior by the school district. And with the old way (back to the beginning of the covid lockdowns) which hurts the poor and minorities more than any demographic. That is not even a debate is it? That is not calling anyone here a racist. 

Next I said the school district's are demonstrating racist behavior by acting that virtual is good for all. 

Districts in my area are going virtual when Covid found in the schools. Is it racist behavior by going virtual in cases like that? I can see people claiming hate if a school would continue in school teaching “don’t care if the kids catch it”. 
 

And believe me the district I’m familiar with is well aware virtual affects students differently based on income.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

Science disagrees with you. Fauci is science right? 

Yeah wth Cappy you only live with it and see it first hand... how dare you think you know anything about the subject (sarcasm)

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What part of “only saying what I hear first hand” didn’t you understand? As for work.... my old place has been remote since mid March. 

And are you seriously saying that people here (who you do NOT know) are racist and don’t care? 

I replied to Campy about the racist. 

Most of the country is working. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

I replied to Campy about the racist. 

Most of the country is working. 

I saw and understand a little bit better. It was the part about “and people here” I was thinking about.
My point is there are a lot of differing opinions on what is best way to handle cv and teaching. To claim racism behavior and hate without evidence when someone disagrees is self defeating and wrong imo.

So if districts with large poor and/or minority populations close, they are acting racist (racist behavior). My home district is in upper middle class and pretty white bread (thank goodness that’s changing). So why did my district go virtual when cases were found?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

Don't believe I called you racist. I said it was racist behavior by the school district. And with the old way (back to the beginning of the covid lockdowns) which hurts the poor and minorities more than any demographic. That is not even a debate is it? That is not calling anyone here a racist. 

Next I said the school district's are demonstrating racist behavior by acting that virtual is good for all. 

You hinted at it by calling the school district racist for supporting virtual learning. I support virtual learning. You can do the transitive math, yes?

I do think it's interesting you ignored the rest of my points I made about what could happen if we go back to in-person learning. No rebuttal? 

Fauci is one person. He is not the end all, be all, nor is he a policy maker. Scientists disagree with each other on subjects all the time, this situation is no different. Science would like to be black and white, but it's unfortunately not like that. If it was, we wouldn't continue to do research. That is why the content of our textbooks are constantly changing with the times. 

Not sure if you've ever actually analyzed research articles before. An article concluding something does not make it so. Biases come into play. Was the research design adequate? What was the sample size? What type of research was it? Systematic review? Meta-analysis? Case-control? Randomized control trial? 

I'm going to be a resident next year, so I live and breathe science every day. What about you? 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You hinted at it by calling the school district racist for supporting virtual learning. I support virtual learning. You can do the transitive math, yes?

I do think it's interesting you ignored the rest of my points I made about what could happen if we go back to in-person learning. No rebuttal? 

Fauci is one person. He is not the end all, be all, nor is he a policy maker. Scientists disagree with each other on subjects all the time, this situation is no different. Science would like to be black and white, but it's unfortunately not like that. If it was, we wouldn't continue to do research. That is why the content of our textbooks are constantly changing with the times. 

Not sure if you've ever actually analyzed research articles before. An article concluding something does not make it so. Biases come into play. Was the research design adequate? What was the sample size? What type of research was it? Systematic review? Meta-analysis? Case-control? Randomized control trial? 

I'm going to be a resident next year, so I live and breathe science every day. What about you? 

Worked IT for decades and what I learned (1) you’re always learning something new (2) if you want your work to be worth a #### you better be flexible enough to change your thinking as new info comes out. Really fits as CV is something new....

To put it another way: worst doctor I ever saw was one who acted like he hadn’t learned anything since he left medical school decades before. Best ones we saw/I am seeing belong to teaching hospital so up to the minute on latest. And sure you know medical opinion changes on topics other than cv.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You hinted at it by calling the school district racist for supporting virtual learning. I support virtual learning. You can do the transitive math, yes?

I do think it's interesting you ignored the rest of my points I made about what could happen if we go back to in-person learning. No rebuttal? 

Fauci is one person. He is not the end all, be all, nor is he a policy maker. Scientists disagree with each other on subjects all the time, this situation is no different. Science would like to be black and white, but it's unfortunately not like that. If it was, we wouldn't continue to do research. That is why the content of our textbooks are constantly changing with the times. 

Not sure if you've ever actually analyzed research articles before. An article concluding something does not make it so. Biases come into play. Was the research design adequate? What was the sample size? What type of research was it? Systematic review? Meta-analysis? Case-control? Randomized control trial? 

I'm going to be a resident next year, so I live and breathe science every day. What about you? 

Unfortunately intended or not the school districts behavior hurts minorities and poor the most. That is racist actions even if it was not intentional. 

The schools have been closing over time for very long because of the flu every year. Sometimes for weeks. "Covid-18" is the same. If there is an outbreak then close for a short period of time. The problem is the school districts that claim science and ignore it when not convenient for them. Maybe you want to do the same? Or no? 

Lets not get to show our anger here. It is just an opinion. I stay away for a while and make one post and suddenly triggered behavior is happening. Next thing you know the flame master will flame the thread. 

I'm a legal resident of this country so no need to ask me that question. haha a joke. Who cares if you are going to be a resident. It does not make any difference to the discussion. Except to say that you want to have personal conversations. :-) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

I'm a legal resident of this country so no need to ask me that question. haha a joke. Who cares if you are going to be a resident. It does not make any difference to the discussion. Except to say that you want to have personal conversations. 🙂

Believe cappy meant another type of resident... the live and breath science comment is why I think so.... but will wait

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

Unfortunately intended or not the school districts behavior hurts minorities and poor the most. That is racist actions even if it was not intentional. 

The schools have been closing over time for very long because of the flu every year. Sometimes for weeks. "Covid-18" is the same. If there is an outbreak then close for a short period of time. The problem is the school districts that claim science and ignore it when not convenient for them. Maybe you want to do the same? Or no? 

Lets not get to show our anger here. It is just an opinion. I stay away for a while and make one post and suddenly triggered behavior is happening. Next thing you know the flame master will flame the thread. 

I'm a legal resident of this country so no need to ask me that question. haha a joke. Who cares if you are going to be a resident. It does not make any difference to the discussion. Except to say that you want to have personal conversations. 🙂

Here is a dictionary definition of Racism:

"prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized."

I bolded a part for emphasis. The definition implies that in order for an action to be considered racist, the action (in this case, it would be choosing to go virtual) has to be targeting a specific group. Are you suggesting that this is what the school districts are doing? Are the shutdowns only being directed at minorities? Are minorities the only people to exist who are low-income? 

Could you please point to an example of where school districts "claim science" (whatever that means) and ignore it when not convenient for them? Could you point to well designed research studies that definitively say that sending kids back to school would be harmless? Have you considered the logistical challenges of repeatedly opening and closing schools at a whim every time a breakout occurs? Where will schools pull teachers from if teachers need to quarantine for 14 days every time a kid causes an exposure? 

As Jim pointed out, I am talking about a different type of resident. As in I will be beginning residency next year. To be a resident, you must be studying science in depth for years. It requires getting a doctorate degree first. 

I am not showing any anger. Nor am I "triggered." If you say inflammatory things, expect a response. The way you are only selectively replying to certain things gives the appearance that you are trolling. You are avoiding questions in a manner more skilled than some politicians, and so I am prodding further so that you can answer these questions. As of now, until you can actually answer these questions instead of dodging them, it seems your arguments are based off of emotion than logic, atleast to me. 

I look forward to what hopefully will be a thorough response without the victim complex. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • JohnZ locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.