Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Yes you are right.  I'm hearing from someone who spent 3 weeks in an ICU and now they think there may be long term lung issues. Sad

20 year old nephew is looking at long term monitoring to see if he will have permanent lung issues. Said that to someone and they called it an “anomaly”. I went off.... Everyone seems to talk about fatality rate but long term health effects is ignored as will be years until we can start to tell. 

Family lived near Three Mile Island when is malfunctioned in 1979. We were told in 20 years the cancer rate might start jacking but no one knew. It didn’t happen but that is hell having that over your head for decades.

• Like 2

I was listening to a story on the news this morning  about the recommended  "pecking order" for  the Covid vaccine:

1.Health care workers

2.Long term care facility patients and staff

3.First responders

4.Essential workers,including people who work in

food processing plants 

5.High risk individuals

This is just a recommendation,but follows what pretty much every expert has said about vaccine distribution.

As much as I would like to see some form of drum corps next summer,this, in and of itself,is a pretty good indicator that a  vaccine won't be available to the general public in time for  a 2021 season.

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and not even close to what we have been dealing with since the spring. and that flu season didn't kill over a  quarter of a million people and counting.

i get it...you want to march. you also refuse to discuss any of the massive logistical hurdles facing the activity. a vaccine will not be widely distributed in time for a season. it sucks, but to quote a government official, "it is what it is".

Don’t forget only considering how this affects persons in the posters age group. In all her posts I have yet to see any thoughts of others outside of over 21 (including “professional students” 👎).  Wonder if this goes for everything or just DCI and schools. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

that anybody is seriously worried about having a drum corps season as we continue to speed towards 300k and more dead really needs to have their priorities checked.

We could probably end this entire thread and future subsequent threads with this. This is all that needs to be said. Check your priorities. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Virtual learn along with Covid18 effects minorities, poor more than any other's. Both of those while could be not intentional it is still racist against those minorities. The very people they think they are trying to help end up losing much more than just an education. It is selfish and harmful to youth to deny school and interaction. 

What could happen if we go back to in person learning? Most of the country have in person learning. Many other countries besides America have in person learning. Go back is what the remainder of the schools should do in the areas where the leadership think they know what they are doing. The faster those school get on with it the faster things will get back to normal. 

Lord Fauci was sainted during the summer. He says it and that should be the law of the land. haha I joke. 

I'm not a professional student like you are but I do happen to be taken a class or more in a undisclosed location. Getting too personal. Only a matter of time before someone starts to flame the thread against the rules established by the governing body. 

13 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I look forward to what hopefully will be a thorough response without the victim complex. 

Oh so predictable. Looks like I was hoping for too much. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

We could probably end this entire thread and future subsequent threads with this. This is all that needs to be said. Check your priorities. 

Ok I grew up with 1960s superhero comics and have “Dr Strange” movie on DVD. But one line from that movie keeps running through my head with a lot of cv comments. IIRC the ancient one tells (still egotistic Dr Strange) “I’m surprised you haven’t learned the simple ultimate truth in the universe.... it’s not about you”. 
Edit: not directed at dcp, see it everywhere 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

that anybody is seriously worried about having a drum corps season as we continue to speed towards 300k and more dead really needs to have their priorities checked.

I can’t imagine why anyone would be discussing whether there will be a DCI 2021 season in this thread entitled “Will there be a DCI 2021 season?”

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

20 year old nephew is looking at long term monitoring to see if he will have permanent lung issues. Said that to someone and they called it an “anomaly”. I went off.... Everyone seems to talk about fatality rate but long term health effects is ignored as will be years until we can start to tell. 

Family lived near Three Mile Island when is malfunctioned in 1979. We were told in 20 years the cancer rate might start jacking but no one knew. It didn’t happen but that is hell having that over your head for decades.

There's going to be alot, So  much un known at this point

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Yes you are right.  I'm hearing from someone who spent 3 weeks in an ICU and now they think there may be long term lung issues. Sad

Two days ago I spoke with a friend whose father was in a California ICU with Covid-19.  He said his father was in stable condition and was not intubated.  Things were looking good.

The next day he passed away.   A very strange illness.

Edited by Continental
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Continental said:

Two days ago I spoke with a friend whose father was in a California ICU with Covid-19.  He said his father was in stable condition and was not intubated.  Things were looking good.

The next day he passed away.   A very strange illness.

Learned a nasty medical term few years back: acute respiratory distress (ARD). Doc who specializes in it said he had young people admitted to the hospital with it in the morning and passed away in the evening. ARD encompasses anything that takes away the bodies ability to breathe or process oxygen.  When my wife caught the flu and passed her death certificate had pneumonia and ARD. Only difference between her and today is she started with flu and not covid. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari