Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

40 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Very true BUT I will tell you the younger corps I was talking about and have had direct contact with ARE in WC..as far extra staff. I also came from a place in time where I may have had 1 assistant, not paid to help. We were taught we had to do everything, not anymore, new staff for the most part do not do it all. 

Money spent is much different today, everyone talks about cost of props, Well gone are the days of getting some lot to practice in, gone are the days of a donut and juice for a meal, gone are the days of someone donating a facility to any part of the activity, I can go on and on but I know you got what I mean. As far as vaccine's I have been told that may play out BUT it will be a long time till people trust . 

This like 9/11 will change things for a very long time IF not forever. 

I agree that times are different, and money is spent differently.   However, I think corps that are used to spending 2 million may suddenly find themselves pressed to come up with 800K, and if they can't trim down, they will go under.  I think WC corps that you are referring to may have struggled well before the virus, or are relatively new to the game, and this will compound things. I think even long time established WC corps are going to face some huge hurdles.  The Open class corps who are already operating on much smaller budgets might actually have a better chance in some instances, especially if there is no 2021.   I am hopeful on one vaccine that will enter a 30,000 person final trial 3 days from now.......if the results repeat, and they can tweak things, we may have a winner.............I think if it is demonstrated as totally effective, and they make it super easy to get (perhaps free as well....they are already gambling with mass producing it and getting it ready), people will do it.............on the other hand, if they fail and can't come up with anything......it will take years for it to subside, and a return to "normal" won't happen.......................trying to hold onto some hope...............never thought I would watch baseball with cardboard "people" in the stands........lol...........

• Thanks 1

Which brings up the question: how long would it take from start of vaccination to know that the vaccine is safe and affective in a large percentage of people.....

4 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

WGI has little impact on DCI in my opinion. 

This isn't the 1980s when DCI influenced WGI and BOA. As of current, it's the other way around. 

Even if there is a vaccine; I don't think there are going to be too many high schools and sports facilities willing to host a corps or a show. I really hope I'm wrong; but I honestly believe that 2021 isn't going to be all that kind to the drum corps activity. I'll even venture to guess that if there is no season in 2021; there will be some corps going inactive in both DCI and DCA. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Which brings up the question: how long would it take from start of vaccination to know that the vaccine is safe and affective in a large percentage of people.....

They are hoping to get some decisive answers on this last round.....30k people...............in the first trial (which I don't know how many people were involved in........it was totally successful in every person, but there were some side effects which varied  depending on dosage, though none lasted over 24 hours, and all were well after that.  They claim that they will be able to determine everything from this 30K person trial; I hope that they are right.  This one is a bit different, as it does not use a live virus, but is synthetic.  This final phase begins on 7/27.....I pray that they are totally successful........................

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

This isn't the 1980s when DCI influenced WGI and BOA. As of current, it's the other way around. 

Even if there is a vaccine; I don't think there are going to be too many high schools and sports facilities willing to host a corps or a show. I really hope I'm wrong; but I honestly believe that 2021 isn't going to be all that kind to the drum corps activity. I'll even venture to guess that if there is no season in 2021; there will be some corps going inactive in both DCI and DCA. 

I think you are right BUT I was thinking about this and talking to some involved. DCA which has been failing for quite some time MIGHT have a slight chance of a possible resurgence . Now they will still have the same issues of rehearsal sites, contest locations but maybe because they are just weekend, do not have to bus people or feed them if they choose not too,  so someone could get their drum corps fix just smaller. The one thing that could stop all that is just the fact that DCA members are a lot younger than they used to be for the most part which could put them in an even more  challenging situation which could literally stop them all together. SIGH......uncertain times for sure

Edited by GUARDLING

31 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Then when it's determined that there is a safe, effective vaccine, how do you distribute within a nation of over 325 million people? 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Continental said:

Then when it's determined that there is a safe, effective vaccine, how do you distribute within a nation of over 325 million people? 

There is hope.........I wouldn't bet the farm on it at this point, but I like to have hope..........

https://health.ucsd.edu/news/releases/Pages/2020-07-24-national-clinical-trial-launches-will-test-promising-vaccine-against-novel-coronavirus.aspx

The push to be able to produce and distribute when ready is unprecedented in world history, so I think that will happen...........I just hope that this one (above), or some others, are magic..........