Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

I mentioned it before , where will these members come from? Drum corps today has members from all over the country. This is because if corps had to rely on local kids to fill a corps, even partially they would never survive. It;s been like this for quite sometime. Will todays member travel to do some local or regional thing? I will honestly as someone who is involved in auditions for fall, summer and winter. Todays member is very different for BITD

I do agree what we see or how the activity moves forward will be quite different. Many un knowns at this point and I think many knowns .....sadly

Any attempt to resurrrect drum corps in the future will have local members. They are there in numbers...but not in quality. The " standard" would be something quite different. Think local VFW type stuff , just not sourced from veterans associated organizations. And people like you and me would have to make it happen..or at least have a role. Starting over really. Tough for me to see right now...but hey...I plan on being around for awhile and still dig drum corps stuff. Its OK to dream....and wait.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rysa4 said:

Any attempt to resurrrect drum corps in the future will have local members. They are there in numbers...but not in quality. The " standard" would be something quite different. Think local VFW type stuff , just not sourced from veterans associated organizations. And people like you and me would have to make it happen..or at least have a role. Starting over really. Tough for me to see right now...but hey...I plan on being around for awhile and still dig drum corps stuff. Its OK to dream....and wait.

Lot of time conflicts out there for even local corps of any type. Not to mention the outrageous equipment costs for even a small corps to start up. And drum corps is not in the public eye like it used to be. So not only would there be a selling effort to join but an effort to tell potential members what the heck a drum in corps is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rysa4 said:

The support system like we had BITD are not there any more. HS band programs have taken hold of local kids too. What worked BITD barley worked then and for sure will not work now. VFWs and Legions are hanging on by a thread, churches will never get involved again and can barley hold their own heads above water, schools who support now do so only because of shared staff and still is extremely costly.

Corps didn't go out of their areas just looking for talent, there were no members. In some cases there is just a handful of local members.

For sure ok to dream BUT sound realistic research and planning like never before is needed.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lot of time conflicts out there for even local corps of any type. Not to mention the outrageous equipment costs for even a small corps to start up. And drum corps is not in the public eye like it used to be. So not only would there be a selling effort to join but an effort to tell potential members what the heck a drum in corps is.

Alrighty...so lets go 10 years forward. AI. Robotics, and Automation now offers a  life of part time work for a large segment of the population...financially suported by a universal basic income that allows for some semblance of choice in life as opposed to anxiety provoking how will I pay the next bill without a job mentality-- and a refocus on culture, the arts, and music for a segment of the population -- and then there is us. with time. perhaps a little money, some creativity, and a bit of a network so to speak. And drive...and knowledge of what can be

let us not underestimate the human spirit. There is hope yet for a future variant of drum corps based on a future human desire that is not apparent right now. A side shoot of something larger perhaps.

Keep the faith

On 7/24/2020 at 2:23 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i don't expect anything.

I absolutely agree with this. 2021 would be a logistical nightmare. 2022 Seems more doable, but even that is up in the air. And for the record, WGI and BOA have a massive impact on what happens with DCI. Its all related, and my guess is the one good thing that comes out of this is the potential to merge at least two, if not all three organizations. 

I've had at least two people on the admin side of things tell me they don't see an opportunity for a season until at least 2023.

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, rysa4 said:

I think it way to early to guess what DCI may or may not look like when(if) it comes back. There is way too much we don't know. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

I mentioned it before , where will these members come from? Drum corps today has members from all over the country. This is because if corps had to rely on local kids to fill a corps, even partially they would never survive. It's been like this for quite sometime. Will todays member travel to do some local or regional thing? I will honestly ,as someone who is involved in auditions for fall, summer and winter don't think so. Todays member is very different for BITD

I do agree what we see or how the activity moves forward will be quite different. Many un knowns at this point and I think many knowns .....sadly

I think WGI would be the measuring stick for which we could see if a summer tour on a larger scale would be possible. I don't know that there is any direct relationship other that to say that WGI would test the infrastructure to see if it would be possible. 

For DCI, the determining factor is facilities. Housing, rehearsal, show sites. Are schools willing to host the corps? What states have loosened regulations enough to allow crowds to gather and watch shows? Are people willing to travel to shows? Do kids feel safe enough to join corps? So many questions that I don't think any of us can answer anytime soon.

Logistically, for DCI to field a 2021 season, they would need to know many of these answers now. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I think WGI would be the measuring stick for which we could see if a summer tour on a larger scale would be possible. I don't know that there is any direct relationship other that to say that WGI would test the infrastructure to see if it would be possible. 

For DCI, the determining factor is facilities. Housing, rehearsal, show sites. Are schools willing to host the corps? What states have loosened regulations enough to allow crowds to gather and watch shows? Are people willing to travel to shows? Do kids feel safe enough to join corps? So many questions that I don't think any of us can answer anytime soon.

Logistically, for DCI to field a 2021 season, they would need to know many of these answers now. 

100% correct and this all is discussed in multiple meeting corps are having. Hope for sure BUT they have to do more than hope when it involves many lives and tons of money. It will be a huge challenge for sure.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I absolutely agree with this. 2021 would be a logistical nightmare. 2022 Seems more doable, but even that is up in the air. And for the record, WGI and BOA have a massive impact on what happens with DCI. Its all related, and my guess is the one good thing that comes out of this is the potential to merge at least two, if not all three organizations. 

I've had at least two people on the admin side of things tell me they don't see an opportunity for a season until at least 2023.

2023 or later seems about right 

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

2023 or later seems about right 

If that were to happen, there’s a good chance even more corps would have folded or tried to merge with another corps or two.

• Like 1