Audition now?

I was thinking of this..........most drum corps do not start auditions prior to November.  That was always understandable.......the summer is obviously the busy time.......the season ends in August.........staff return home to families, jobs, etc.................a well-deserved "break" is taken...............surveys then sent out to see how many eligible members intend on returning......emails, letters, etc. are answered from prospects, and early camps planned and audition packs put online for the prospects.................

Now, however, we are in an entirely different mode.  The "busy" time isn't here.  I can't foresee in person auditions at this point, prior to a vaccine or med for the virus, so even if people wait until November, any auditions to be held are likely to be online only.   However, I can't see anything that would stop a group from auditioning prospects now instead of waiting until November.  There could be some actual advantages.  With expected large return rates of 2020 members, those members have  practiced and may know most or all of the musical book.  Any corps that would determine their remaining membership by 9/1 could have a bit of an edge, as the possibility that all members would have and know the complete musical book by the end of November would be strong.  The downer is that there is no way the corps actually plays together until probably February or later, and that is assuming a working vaccine is out there in January, which is still a big "if".    Also, it will be interesting to see how the various corps handle new members.  Some new prospects may decide to wait to see if there is going to be a 2021 season before they audition or make any kind of commitment.  What kind of money, if any (as there are likely no camps) will corps expect from new members, with 2021 being an uncertainty?  It may be wise to try to delay all FINANCIAL commitment requirements from members until the virus is beaten and a season is going to happen.  I am concerned that some corps will collect some monies from members and new members to attempt to stay afloat, and then have difficulties processing refunds if the season does not happen.  I would hope that corps run their business "lean and mean" this year.......I think that they can perhaps reduce the costs for members, as the first several things are likely to be "virtual", thus no need for facilities or food, so there should be little or no "camp fees".

I think most corps will just ride it out until November, and then will start online auditions.   However, I will be curious to see if anybody decides to "jump the gun" and start auditions early, as I can't see any reason that they couldn't if they want to.  It is a tough period of uncertainty for the activity, and all will have a mess to try to plow through if a 2021 season does not happen.  Hopefully it does.

I am cautiously hopeful there will be a 2021 season.As of right now, many corps have already filled most positions, or so it was claimed when the 2020 season was cancelled. This could all change as audition time approaches, but age-outs are being given an opportunity to march one more year, and word was that most brass and percussion spots were filled in the top corps. Personally I think many may rethink marching, especially the ageouts. Some have already graduated and are in the working world. Even with that, 2021 may not have a lot of vacancies. 

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

I am cautiously hopeful there will be a 2021 season.As of right now, many corps have already filled most positions, or so it was claimed when the 2020 season was cancelled. This could all change as audition time approaches, but age-outs are being given an opportunity to march one more year, and word was that most brass and percussion spots were filled in the top corps. Personally I think many may rethink marching, especially the ageouts. Some have already graduated and are in the working world. Even with that, 2021 may not have a lot of vacancies. 

I agree with all that you say......if most members commit to coming back, there will not be that many openings.....my point was that I do not believe that anyone has to wait until the traditional November time to fill any spots, and between now and October might be the better time.  I think that there will again be openings in the Spring, as I think finances and other issues are going to be problematic for some members who initially indicated their intent on returning.  If an effective vaccine or drug is not out by end of January, then it will be meaningless.  Hoping for the best..........