Cavaliers Sound Quality

Penguin

Has anyone noticed that over the past few years, the quality of sound that the Cavaliers' brass line puts out is getting better and better. This year was the peak IMHO. The way the uppper, middle, and lower brass all blended together to create this beautiful, open sound was like (as Cesario said once about PR) "taking a bath in chocolate". Such a reaction to tone quality alone could only be produced (for me) by one other corps before this past season; Phantom Regiment.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is anyone else as impressed with the Cavaliers sound as I am?

Which corps to you is more like "taking a bath in chocolate"? :P

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have different sound concepts. Both are excellent hornlines, but Cavaliers have a different idea of "balance" than Phantom. I don't think one concept is better than the other, and they both execute those concepts very well.

I thought Blue Devils and Phantom Regiment sounded much more mature, played with more confidence and had a better dynamic range.

Cavaliers sounded as they always do, playing the same style of emotionless music. No peaks, no valleys, no diversity. Good ? sure, but not like the lines od BD and PR........

~G~

No corps' brass line today can top the quality of sound that Phantom Regiment produces. The only corps in history that had a better sound was Star of Indiana from 1990-1993. Right now the next best sounding corps are the Vanguard and Blue Devils hornlines. The Cavies are in a distant fourth or fifth. Sure their sound quality HAS improved dramatically over the last few years, but it still doesn't level up to what Phantom can do. Phantom's hornline is the best sound. Hands down. Listen to phantom's take on "canon in D" then listen to cavies "resonance" in spin cycle. Then decide who sounds better.

The key with Regiment is the focus on lower voices, particularly the tenor voice (bari/euph). With a bottom-heavy line, the obsidian lustre of the sound filters up, instead of a tense sound filtering down.

(Obsidian lustre? Who am I, M. Cesario?)

Cavaliers sounded as they always do, playing the same style of emotionless music. No peaks, no valleys, no diversity. Good ? sure, but not like the lines od BD and PR........

G,

I don't think they're talking about the music choice -- they're talking about the technique of the brass line PLAYERS.. if you can, try to set aside the fact that you hate the music and examine how the music is played.. I think you might get an idea of what they're talking about.

I think Dave has the right idea, here.. the two lines (whether this year or any other) -- PR and Cavaliers -- have different goals in mind.. I find them both to be well balanced and heartstopping in their own regard.. there are times when one sustained note from either line can make me well up with tears over the beauty they are capable of..

I like both styles, though.. both serve their purposes well.

Stef

G,

I don't think they're talking about the music choice -- they're talking about the technique of the brass line PLAYERS.. if you can, try to set aside the fact that you hate the music and examine how the music is played.. I think you might get an idea of what they're talking about.

I think he was referring to dynamics.Not necessarily the music choice. :)

You might be right, Jerome.. I was assigning his long standing and well documented distaste for the musical selections the Cavaliers have made to his statement.

I'll admit I might have been off base, but I still think I'm right. :;'

I wouldn't liken listening to the cavaliers brass to taking a bath in chocolate. They don't seem to have the warmth of a pr hornline. this is not to say they are not both suberb ensembles. its just that they have two different concepts, two different sounds. i would describe the cavalier's brass as cool, rather than warm. (i hope you guys can understand the completely abstract way i'm expressing this) just my opinion...i love 'em both