The 1983 Thread

Of course, the biggest deal of the season was the migration of the DCI World Championship trophy to the East. The Garfield Cadets, powered by George Zingali's path-breaking drill, jumped from 3rd at Semis to 1st at finals. Perhaps the greater miracle is they did it in the last year of the tick system. 

I think I heard a story that Boston Crusaders mixed it up with some Miami toughs before/after prelims? 

If you were there in 1983, or know someone who was there, please share. If not, listen, watch, and learn, as I will be doing!

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 1

Ah 1983, one of my favorite years of the activity.  Do not make the mistake to only focus on the finalist corps this year.  There were some outstanding corps from 13-25!  Avant Garde, Troopers, Les Eclipes, Valley Fever and more!!  I really liked Alliance from Boston as well.  Crossmen and Geneseo did Russlan and Ludmilla, a very challenging classical piece as their opener.

The top 12, well they were fantastic and some of the best musical shows IMHO.  Variety is the spice of life and this year did not disappoint.  Freelancers, 27th, Bridgemen, Sky Ryders...all excellent.  I love Spirit this year.  Suncoast tore then house down!!!  Cavies did Pines of Rome making me fall in love with this great work.  Phantom Regiment was pure power in 1983!  Madison did an amazing classical opener and then jumped right into Strawberry Soup!  Blue Devils were classic Devils, power, clean and amazing.  SCV was on fire!  One of my favorite years for SCV IMHO.  And then the champions... What a great show.  They set a new standard in the activity and would go on to pave the way for a truly new world in drum corps land.

Yes, Boston did have an issue with some of the locals outside the stadium.  I have always imagined that those locals had NO IDEA who they were dealing with!!  LOL

I do remember watching my brother play his baritone solo for solo and ensemble competition INSIDE the stadium.  Yeah one guy standing on the turf inside this massive football stadium.  Surely there was a better venue for this somewhere in Miami???

This was also the year Dagenham Crusaders from England made the journey to perform at DCI.  It was a welcome addition to the international flavor of the activity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

Of course, the biggest deal of the season was the migration of the DCI World Championship trophy to the East. The Garfield Cadets, powered by George Zingali's path-breaking drill, jumped from 3rd at Semis to 1st at finals. Perhaps the greater miracle is they did it in the last year of the tick system. 

I think I heard a story that Boston Crusaders mixed it up with some Miami toughs before/after prelims? 

If you were there in 1983, or know someone who was there, please share. If not, listen, watch, and learn, as I will be doing!

Too bad the video is no longer there, but at one point there was a full video of Phantom's '83 show on YouTube.

When discussing Phantom '83 everyone almost immediately focuses on 1812.  However, for me it was the massive wall of brass in the opener "Serenade for Strings" that I loved most. 

I did find a recording on SoundCloud however.

First year the Cadets won. I don't remember much. Top 3 in 82, 83, 84 and 85 were Cadets, BD, SCV  not in same order of course. And in 97 and 98 again top 3 placements. 6 times those 3 were top 3. I think that's a record.

Edited by DFA1970

If you wanted to write a show that defined the musical mythos of the Troopers, '83 is it.  

They also were invited to perform in exhibition before finals.  So, they drove out to the beach, picked up the members and ran them into the show.  Salty.

2 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

If you wanted to write a show that defined the musical mythos of the Troopers, '83 is it.  

They also were invited to perform in exhibition before finals.  So, they drove out to the beach, picked up the members and ran them into the show.  Salty.

1983 Troopers

• Like 3