The 1983 Thread

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

From the PBS perspective I thought the top groups were amazing, and certainly Garfield was a big WOW! This really was their era. Their show in 82 gave us a glimpse of where they were heading. The 1983 expanded on that and their brass line was exceptional. The intricacy of music to movement and the complexity of timing and artistry was stunningly different from what we had seen in the late 70s and early 80s. Choosing to perform Bernstein's Mass along with Rocky Point Holiday was a bold move.

BD and SCV were truly fantastic as always. I liked Phantom better in 84. Madison was great! 

Here are the semifinal scores. Garfield did not jump from 3rd to first. They were the leaders coming into Finals week and maybe lost only 1 show all season. But at Semis they did tie BD for 2nd and SCV was 1st. 

Miami, FL                                      DCI
   Semi Finals                                       

1 Santa Clara Vanguard                      91.90
    2 Garfield Cadets                           91.15
    ^ Blue Devils                               91.15
    4 Phantom Regiment                          88.45
    5 Suncoast Sound                            84.80
    6 Madison Scouts                            83.90
    7 Spirit of Atlanta                         83.45
    8 Freelancers                               81.95
    9 27th Lancers                              80.50
   10 Cavaliers                                 80.30
   11 Bridgemen                                 79.55
   12 Sky Ryders                                78.70
   13 Crossmen                                  78.60
   14 Alliance                                  77.10
   15 Troopers                                  76.85
   16 Knights                                   73.95
   17 Velvet Knights                            71.45
   18 Valley Fever                              69.55
   19 Les Eclipses                              67.25
   20 Avant Guard                               64.65
   21 Boston Crusaders                          63.75
   22 Colts                                     60.60
   23 Dutch Boy                                 59.60
   24 Glassmen                                  58.25
   25 Pride of Cincinnati                       56.65

The only show Garfield lost in 1983 was Friday night. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

The only show Garfield lost in 1983 was Friday night. 

I was on the staff......prelims was odd, as I thought that we were good, but it wasn't an emotional job........still, I was confused, as there was clearly some dirt in SCV's show, yet they won............BD, on the other hand, smoked in prelims, won high drums, and frankly I thought that they would win prelims....but we were tied.....also  weird was the fact that we won all captions in prelims except for percussion, where we were 5th (including 7th in field)....questionable (4th in field in finals)....all worked out, though, as they lit it up on Saturday night.....41-1....not undefeated, but as close as you can get....................

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This was also the year Geneseo started off hot, beating several Corps that would be DCI finalists, and end up 16th.

IIRC ( an we competed against them several times that summer), their execution was better than their show design.

Couldn't find a complete video of Geneseo Knights from '83, but here's part of their show from DCI East prelims. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Continental said:

Couldn't find a complete video of Geneseo Knights from '83, but here's part of their show from DCI East prelims. 

The Geneseo Knights were incredible in the 80s. Got to see them a number of times. One I will always remember. I think it was the U.S. Open in Ohio,  84 or 85, and the show was in Columbus and not in Marion. They had to perform in the rain and they lit the crowd up big time. Huge standing O for them as they left the field and the show was delayed for a while until rain stopped. 

On 7/30/2020 at 10:21 AM, Continental said:

1983 Troopers

Troop had no rehearsals on finals day, as they did not qualify for finals. It was a day off, and a good number of members headed for the beach to get some relief from the inhuman heat of South Florida.

Word that DCI had approved the exhibition show got out late in the day -- after many members had scattered -- and a not-insignificant number of MMs did not get word and/or back to the Orange Bowl in time to perform the exhibition. (gotta remember: no cell phones then!) Not a few tears and frustrated members that day, despite the love from the crowd.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Sad 1

On 8/1/2020 at 10:14 AM, Continental said:

Love me some Glinka.

• 7 months later...
On 7/31/2020 at 2:59 PM, LabMaster said:

Nice story but not quite how it was.  No other corps involved.  Boston was protecting its own.  Boston was warming up sections near the Orange Bowl. A local gang didn’t want Them there and decided to go after the little band, particularly after the drum line.  It didn’t work out so well for the locals, although there was damage on both sides.  It was chaos.  Within minutes of it being over, Boston went in for their performance truly fresh off the altercation.  Cops were dealing with the locals who were thought to be from Overtown.  A dangerous area of Miami.  Mind you Boston did their show minutes after this incident and only had 51 or 53 members total as well.  Made DCI Associate member, the smallest corps ever to do so.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 3:44 PM, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Troop had no rehearsals on finals day, as they did not qualify for finals. It was a day off, and a good number of members headed for the beach to get some relief from the inhuman heat of South Florida.

Word that DCI had approved the exhibition show got out late in the day -- after many members had scattered -- and a not-insignificant number of MMs did not get word and/or back to the Orange Bowl in time to perform the exhibition. (gotta remember: no cell phones then!) Not a few tears and frustrated members that day, despite the love from the crowd.

A lot of members were scooped up from the beach, and taken directly to the stadium.  They performed with dried salt water all over their skin and clothing.  They were tougher than I was in those days.