A Word of Warning Regarding 2020 Indy Hotel Reservations

I cancelled my hotel reservation at Hyatt Place in Indianapolis the day the announcement was made there would be no 2020 season. I thought I was all set, but got an email reminder today confirming my reservation. I called the hotel and my reservation was still on the books. I was told that they have received calls all day. I booked through the Convention Center which uses Booking.com. Booking.com rebooked some cancelled rooms. So if you don’t want an unexpected credit card charge, you may want to double check your cancellation.

I use Booking.com all the time when travelling for softball tournaments.  Whether the whole stay was cancelled or didn't need to arrive the day before our first game, there have never been any issues.  Hope your issue Tim is just a blip in the system.

7 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Always book via the hotel brand rewards program but I did check just for my peace of mind.  Didn't realize I still have enough point for a couple of nights!  

Thx & Boo COVID-19.  :grrr:  #MarchOn

I always try to use the same chain (gotta have my included breakfast). One time screwed up and reserved thru a booking company. Should have stopped when the “do you want to be able to cancel” (for more money) popped up. Called to question ability to change a date and got either royal run around or had someone helpless at help desk.... know some people do well with them but...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Agreed.............always good to make sure you have some document saying that things are cancelled, and then make sure your refund gets credited.    I used Hotels.com, and I just cancelled my DCI East hotel a few days ago.......it was an oversight on my part, as I thought I had cancelled it earlier (maybe I did??).  Then I read "policy"   Hotels.com policy COVID policy was pretty bad......if you had a "non-refundable" reservation, they were trying to hold onto that, and the customer loses all of their money paid.  I wasn't settling for that.........I told them that I live in Florida and had a reservation in Allentown for a national event that was cancelled due to COVID19  (and I would not have gone anyway, as I am in the highest risk health group)....I wasn't going to fly from Orlando to Philly, rent a car, and drive to Allentown, to stay in a hotel and that's it.  They checked with the motel, a waiver was approved, and I am getting a full refund.  It would have been one nasty phone call if they tried to enforce that policy, especially with booking last December.............................

• Like 1