Mallet brands HELP!!

CNorell

Hi all!

Does anyone have reviews of these mallets for outdoor marching band use? Especially Salyer, I've never heard of that brand. I am looking for affordable outdoor mallets for my front ensemble, I am asking for my students to purchase their own sticks... if you have affordable suggestions for marimba, vibes, hard xylo (preferably can double on bells), and soft/medium xylo, please give them.

INNOVATIVE PERCUSSION IP1002 JIM CASELLA SIGNATURE MEDIUM MARIMBA MALLETS

Innovative Jim Casella IP1001 Soft Yarn Marimba Mallets

Innovative Field Series FS250R Hard Rattan Marimba Mallets

Salyers Percussion Marching Arts Collection Poly Ball Xylophone/Bell Mallets  

Innovative Orchestral Series OS1 Med Soft Rattan Xylo Mallets

VIC FIRTH M266 IAN GROM CORPSMASTER MEDIUM VIBRAPHONE MALLETS

INNOVATIVE PERCUSSION IP1005 JIM CASELLA SIGNATURE MEDIUM VIBRAPHONE MALLETS

EDIT:

Are "cymbal" mallets necessary for outdoor percussion use, or can any yarn mallet do?

Edited by CNorell
remembered a question

• 3 years later...

Yes! I have used them! The Jim Cassela medium vibraphone mallets are sturdy and create a nice resonance, but they can muffle the sound slightly. Hard mallets however can damage the instrument. For versatile marimba mallets I recommend WNSC white and red wrapped mallets, https://www.amazon.com/Percussion-Mallets-Portable-Keyboard-Instruments/dp/B092VL5QLZ they can also be used on vibes if you want and can be used on sus cyms. For vibes, I recommend Musser, but any mallet with an egg shaped head is good. However, try to get one with secured yarn and a well attached head. In the end, it is up to your playing preferences.

4 years later, let me answer! 1. The vibe mallets are good, but can muffle. 2. Don't really like the marimba mallets, the head isn't well attached, and I prefer ones with yarn securing the head. 3. No, you don't need special mallets, I use marimba mallets