Cadets confirm no return to West Point-style uniform ever

10 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Changing uniforms is one thing, but....."costumes"....for horn and drum line?  Not seeing how that's an attractive concept for (most) young men 17 to 21.  If it is, then this is a No Drum Corps for Old Men kind of thing.

As someone who is only 4-5 years removed from drum corps age, trust me when I say that most marchers do not mind the modern day uniforms. A lot of them even prefer it because of how breathable and comfortable they are. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

remember when you sweat, it stayed wet for the whole summer OR you hung them up inside out in the sun..Wish febreze was around then...lol

Aunt Nellie used to hang ours inside out all around her fence in Garfield.

The worst may have been 1971 Dallas VFW prelims, when I overheard two stadium workers saying it was 135 on the field level, as we were coming in the Cotton Bowl. Our jackets were already damp, as we had performed at a Dolphin/49'er summer exhibition game in Miami on the way to VFW's, and it poured on us that evening.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

As someone who is only 4-5 years removed from drum corps age, trust me when I say that most marchers do not mind the modern day uniforms. A lot of them even prefer it because of how breathable and comfortable they are. 

Lmao went from late 60s-early 70s cadet top (with collar cup to make it REAL TIGHT) to buying Blue Devils light weight open neck blouses they used last in 1975. Lot of us were thanking the deity of our choice. 👍👼

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Aunt Nellie used to hang ours inside out all around her fence in Garfield.

The worst may have been 1971 Dallas VFW prelims, when I overheard two stadium workers saying it was 135 on the field level, as we were coming in the Cotton Bowl. Our jackets were already damp, as we had performed at a Dolphin/49'er summer exhibition game in Miami on the way to VFW's, and it poured on us that evening.

Too bad Febreze had yet to be invented.  

• Haha 2

Just now, Continental said:

Too bad Febreze had yet to be invented.  

My money is on the wool top beating Fabreze 😈

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I'm sure they are more breathable and comfortable, but can we keep calling them UNIFORMS and not "costumes"?  Semantics matter 🙂

39 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I'm sure they are more breathable and comfortable, but can we keep calling them UNIFORMS and not "costumes"?  Semantics matter 🙂

The only semantics that matter are those of the current marchers. If they consider what they wear to be uniforms, that’s enough for me. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Well if the members are wearing the same thing (or at least Horn/perc in one thing and guard another) would that not be “uniform”. 

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

BD and Cavies are the only top 12 corps  who have done a good job of balancing new with old. 
Everyone else is pretty much unrecognizable. 

I wonder: did corps directors decide that "recognizable" just doesn't matter very much? That brand loyalty was never strong enough to put much money in the corps pockets?