Cadets confirm no return to West Point-style uniform ever

I think a simple search of the definition of "uniform" will solve the uniform vs costume debate.  One can apply the adjective, verb, & noun forms to argue that drums corps' "costumes" may be referred to as "uniforms".  :juggle:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uniform

P.S.  Some of their "uniform costumes" look like ####.  Particularly the "cheesecake" variety & some "big boned" tuba players in spandex.  :whistle:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

Aunt Nellie used to hang ours inside out all around her fence in Garfield.

The worst may have been 1971 Dallas VFW prelims, when I overheard two stadium workers saying it was 135 on the field level, as we were coming in the Cotton Bowl. Our jackets were already damp, as we had performed at a Dolphin/49'er summer exhibition game in Miami on the way to VFW's, and it poured on us that evening.

I’ve said it before, and I will say it again. I loved 27th’s uniform. Essentially, khakis with a khaki shirt and accessories. Very comfortable. (And the Aussie was bad ###).

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I was fine with 27th’s uniform. Essentially, khakis with a khaki shirt and accessories. Very comfortable. (And the Aussie was bad ###).

Parade corps started with full uniforms until we had a parade in 90+ degrees and cadet tops went back to the car. Next year wised up and went to shorts, golf shirts and ball caps. Full uniform only mandatory for local Memorial Day parade which started at 9am. 

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well if the members are wearing the same thing (or at least Horn/perc in one thing and guard another) would that not be “uniform”. 

From the outside looking in, it seems to me that some people's insistence on using the term costume instead of uniform is an attempt to disparage and discredit the merits and aesthetic value of modern day uniforms. Essentially, they don't like it, so it needs to be given a term that they perceive as more degrading. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

From the outside looking in, it seems to me that some people's insistence on using the term costume instead of uniform is an attempt to disparage and discredit the merits and aesthetic value of modern day uniforms. Essentially, they don't like it, so it needs to be given a term that they perceive as more degrading. 

I don’t know, but is there something more to term? Are y’all insinuating something else? 

Me? I like costumes and I like uniforms, could give a rats a@@ whatever other direction you think this was going. 

Wonder twins activate. 

watch they will come along soon enough 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Some people definitely use the word "costume" with that intent.

But this thread started with the Cadets themselves doing so.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I’ve said it before, and I will say it again. I loved 27th’s uniform. Essentially, khakis with a khaki shirt and accessories. Very comfortable. (And the Aussie was bad ###).

Agree. I loved their unis. One of my all-time favorite corps from 1970 on to the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

when my Dad, one of the most resistant to change people on the planet likes the newer look, i have to laugh at the teeth gnashing and angst over yet another change in drum corps, an activity changing since the second day of it's existence

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2020 at 12:25 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

It's quite liketly that people think is cool today will later seem like a ridiculous fad.

We'll see, maybe.

I’m pretty sure they will. Just like we do the never ending stream of west-point-style and hideous satin shirts from BITD.

Mike

22 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The term "costume" was introduced to this context by contemporary designers, as they began this movement toward using a different outfit each season for the musicians.  Clearly, they do not view the term as derogatory... so neither do I.

I have been using the terms somewhat interchangeably.  But in situations like the past couple of Bluecoats shows, where musicians dress similarly but no two outfits are exactly alike, the term "uniform" becomes a misnomer.  How about you let me know what the preferred terminology should be?