Cadets confirm no return to West Point-style uniform ever

14 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The term "costume" was introduced to this context by contemporary designers, as they began this movement toward using a different outfit each season for the musicians.  Clearly, they do not view the term as derogatory... so neither do I.

I have been using the terms somewhat interchangeably.  But in situations like the past couple of Bluecoats shows, where musicians dress similarly but no two outfits are exactly alike, the term "uniform" becomes a misnomer.  How about you let me know what the preferred terminology should be?

I agree in the case of the Bluecoats in 2019, the term uniform is a misnomer and costume is more appropriate.

I think uniform AND costume are both valid ways to describe the modern day outfits of the performers. What I am denouncing are the posters who subtly or not-so-subtly use "costume" in a derogatory way, suggesting that the modern day outfits are beneath being called "uniforms." They're not fooling anyone. 

38 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The term "costume" was introduced to this context by contemporary designers, as they began this movement toward using a different outfit each season for the musicians.  Clearly, they do not view the term as derogatory... so neither do I.

I have been using the terms somewhat interchangeably.  But in situations like the past couple of Bluecoats shows, where musicians dress similarly but no two outfits are exactly alike, the term "uniform" becomes a misnomer.  How about you let me know what the preferred terminology should be?

Maybe Safety Suit? :lol:

Costume is a Uniform no? I did not see the use of the term costume as derogatory. 

Obviously someone did. 

On 8/1/2020 at 5:48 AM, craiga said:

One last thing....somebody delicately hinted that "most" boys aged 17-21 would not want to be seen in the spandex type costumes.  You are wrong. These kids would be horrified if you asked them to wear what we wore. 

There's nothing wrong with changing design, moving to lighter weight material since there are more options now, that sort of thing, but "costumes" are for Halloween, balls, and color guards.  If you think I'm wrong and that (most) 17 - 21 year old young men are clamoring to wear a costume.......all I can tell you is not where I live. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

There's nothing wrong with changing design, moving to lighter weight material since there are more options now, that sort of thing, but "costumes" are for Halloween, balls, and color guards.  If you think I'm wrong and that (most) 17 - 21 year old young men are clamoring to wear a costume.......all I can tell you is not where I live. 

I can understand that. I am still not getting what was trying to be stated in the post that you replied to about the "delicately hinted". You say it pretty clear for me. 

I can see where some men would not want to wear these spandex jump suits. People have different feelings and opinions on everything. 

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I agree in the case of the Bluecoats in 2019, the term uniform is a misnomer and costume is more appropriate.

I think uniform AND costume are both valid ways to describe the modern day outfits of the performers. What I am denouncing are the posters who subtly or not-so-subtly use "costume" in a derogatory way, suggesting that the modern day outfits are beneath being called "uniforms." They're not fooling anyone. 

personally I think the term uniform was a stretch in the past, right from the beginning. I guess it's more manly sounding to those who may need that......lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I felt there was still a uniformity to Bluecoats’ costuming. 😜 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

personally I think the term uniform was a stretch in the past, right from the beginning. I guess it's more manly sounding to those who may need that......lol

Bingo.... imo just like valved horns were called bugles, whatever corps members wore were called uniforms, cuz we always called them that.... 

Thinking Hawthorne Muchachos and Caballeros here... uniform as everyone basically wore the same thing. 
Then we have the Leavenworth KS AL Post who wore striped prisoner outfits as a “uniform” in the 1920s or 1930s. (Pic in Hostory of DC)