Cadets confirm no return to West Point-style uniform ever

5 hours ago, Bob984 said:

Just so you know, the first picture (there were TWO photos) I posted was  taken down...................it was there but just for a bit............

The remaining photo (Madison) has a caption above (worst uniforms in drum corps history...Page 13)....but

that is NOT for the Madison photo...................

I simply posted two photos, with no wording................why there was an edit/take down is beyond me...............

I think the edit might have been related to the rule on maximum number of ellipses.😀

• Haha 1

One thing perhaps worth noting is that the word “uniform” is often associated with a sense of genuine belonging, and the word “costume“ is sometimes associated with only imitating something, as with a Halloween costume or costume jewelry.  

Also, I think if the garb completely changes every year, it weakens the brand with which people associate the corps, and the members lose something of a connection to fellow corps members from other years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skevinp said:

One thing perhaps worth noting is that the word “uniform” is often associated with a sense of genuine belonging, and the word “costume“ is sometimes associated with only imitating something, as with a Halloween costume or costume jewelry.  

Also, I think if the garb completely changes every year, it weakens the brand with which people associate the corps, and the members lose something of a connection to fellow corps members from other years.

I totally get what you are saying and can agree with a mindset from the past. With that said I think it's a corps job to make the connection with Corps history and a bond to alumni and traditions, not fabric..imo,,I do get it though

Even uniforms are not without controversy.  Along with costumes, there have been really good ones and some that make you shake your head. 

What was the reaction to Bridgemen's new uniforms in '76?  Was there mayhem in the stands when they walked out on the field?  I never knew of the Bridgemen when they had their cadet-style uniforms.  I only started following the activity in '79.

43 minutes ago, Continental said:

Even uniforms are not without controversy.  Along with costumes, there have been really good ones and some that make you shake your head. 

What was the reaction to Bridgemen's new uniforms in '76?  Was there mayhem in the stands when they walked out on the field?  I never knew of the Bridgemen when they had their cadet-style uniforms.  I only started following the activity in '79.

People went bananas.

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Continental said:

The tops were one thing but the “pimp hats” also upset some people. Then 3 years later Reading Buccs went with the “blue banana” look with same tops and less out there lid.

1 hour ago, Continental said:

There's still some holdouts from before the change that still won't let it go...lol ànd there's not even a corps

• Haha 1

Totally non PC but someone needs to post a picture of Hamms Indians DC. dcxmuseum has a pic but can’t work copy and paste with my phone....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 hours ago, Bob984 said:

Just so you know, the first picture (there were TWO photos) I posted was  taken down...................it was there but just for a bit............

The remaining photo (Madison) has a caption above (worst uniforms in drum corps history...Page 13)....but

that is NOT for the Madison photo...................

I simply posted two photos, with no wording................why there was an edit/take down is beyond me...............

i saw them both too...no clue