Cadets confirm no return to West Point-style uniform ever

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

One thing perhaps worth noting is that the word “uniform” is often associated with a sense of genuine belonging, and the word “costume“ is sometimes associated with only imitating something, as with a Halloween costume or costume jewelry.  

Also, I think if the garb completely changes every year, it weakens the brand with which people associate the corps, and the members lose something of a connection to fellow corps members from other years.

and yet we are seeing alumni embrace the current members at levels not seen for a while, especially as corps get better at alumni relations.

8 hours ago, Bob984 said:

Just so you know, the first picture (there were TWO photos) I posted was  taken down...................it was there but just for a bit............

The remaining photo (Madison) has a caption above (worst uniforms in drum corps history...Page 13)....but

that is NOT for the Madison photo...................

I simply posted two photos, with no wording................why there was an edit/take down is beyond me...............

I thought it was replaced with a copy of a $40 million Ivan Blinko.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Totally non PC but someone needs to post a picture of Hamms Indians DC. dcxmuseum has a pic but can’t work copy and paste with my phone....

Yeah no.  Flashbacks to mid-80s Anderson High School (IN) band (not Anderson Highland) and their guard in high boots, short shorts, cadet jackets, and full headdresses.   Even in 1985 we were, "No, that's just not cool, man."  

Anderson Highland marching a bagpipes and giving them a feature got panned by a lot of people too. I always thought it was pretty cool but once finals moved to the Hoosier Dome, you couldn't hear the things at all in the sound vacuum that building created.  Of course, there were those that said it made an improvement....

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

Yeah no.  Flashbacks to mid-80s Anderson High School (IN) band (not Anderson Highland) and their guard in high boots, short shorts, cadet jackets, and full headdresses.   Even in 1985 we were, "No, that's just not cool, man."  

Anderson Highland marching a bagpipes and giving them a feature got panned by a lot of people too. I always thought it was pretty cool but once finals moved to the Hoosier Dome, you couldn't hear the things at all in the sound vacuum that building created.  Of course, there were those that said it made an improvement....

Have recordings of USAF Bolling Field corps with bagpipes. Played when horns were not playing and very interesting.

And no one brought up Blue Stars guard hot pants being in uniform?

51 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Have recordings of USAF Bolling Field corps with bagpipes. Played when horns were not playing and very interesting.

And no one brought up Blue Stars guard hot pants being in uniform?

Or Garfield’s guard in ‘77 (or was it ‘76?) in hot pants and West Point style jackets?

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Or Garfield’s guard in ‘77 (or was it ‘76?) in hot pants and West Point style jackets?

Knew there was someone else and couldn’t remember... thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i saw them both too...no clue

It's very strange.............on just one post remaining, if you click the underline under the "statement" (which I DIDN"T COPY/POST) there is a message from google saying

that copying the photo was "forbidden", yet there was nothing on the original image to indicate that (some are protected, and I get that).....however, who ever chose

to "take it down", chose to replace it with the wording........(the wording was in the title set of the photo album, but was NOT included in my post......so (whoever they are)

managed to take down the photo and replace it with the wording..................not cool.................probably a "uniform" company rep..........lol.............finally, I only posted

the two photos to stimulate a conversation about it...........there's no "right or wrong" answers.......just preferences..............however, who ever took it down also

clearly chose to spread their own message, and to distort my post.......................again, not cool..................

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Here in NJ a couple of HS bands always had a bagpipe section back in the day, Governor Livingston and Kearny. The town of Kearny, just outside of Newark, had a large Irish/Scottish population going back in time. 

Here is GL's pipe section in 2010...

hqdefault.jpg