Cadets confirm no return to West Point-style uniform ever

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

wrong

About what? What specifically is wrong? 

6 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I think the edit might have been related to the rule on maximum number of ellipses.😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E3D said:

About what? What specifically is wrong? 

"That said, I believe that marketing a change of uniforms (as the Cadets have) to a "more modern costume" is a mistake and a turn-off to (most) 17 - 21 year old young men."

if it were a turn off, kids would not be auditioning. No they may not all like them, just like we may not have liked what we wore. But in the history of drum corps, the number of kids that quit because they hated a uniform has to be incredibly small.

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

Here in NJ a couple of HS bands always had a bagpipe section back in the day, Governor Livingston and Kearny. The town of Kearny, just outside of Newark, had a large Irish/Scottish population going back in time. 

Here is GL's pipe section in 2010...

hqdefault.jpg

the usage in 2016 made me mist up while running my tape for them. so well done

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Yeah no.  Flashbacks to mid-80s Anderson High School (IN) band (not Anderson Highland) and their guard in high boots, short shorts, cadet jackets, and full headdresses.   Even in 1985 we were, "No, that's just not cool, man."  

Anderson Highland marching a bagpipes and giving them a feature got panned by a lot of people too. I always thought it was pretty cool but once finals moved to the Hoosier Dome, you couldn't hear the things at all in the sound vacuum that building created.  Of course, there were those that said it made an improvement....

Side bar: Anderson Highland was a dominating force in the track shows at the Indiana State Fair. They'd won twice in a row in 70 and 71 when my tiny high school, Shenandoah, won in 72 with the first "corps style" show. We had rifles and sabres, something most of the audience had never seen.

Our band stepped off the line by playing the Highland school song – a Scottish thing I've forgotten – and then did a little Scottish fling with our feet to the Mickey Mouse tune. Followed by, of course, a marching version of Shenandoah. That was August 72 and I can still do that 20-beat fling.

Yeah the track show bands had their own thing going still with the State Fair all the way into the 80's when I marched.  But by that time, field bands were taking over the activity quite a bit.

That's pretty cheeky to rip their Scottish song and take it into mickey mouse theme.   Bishop Dwenger up in Ft. Wayne would distribute their school song to bands for football games and we quickly realized their opening tag was pretty much the Mickey Mouse tune.  We tried talking our director into letting us start with that tag then go into our fight song but he wasn't having it because he knew there'd be blow back.   

Didn't stop us from doing the M-I-C (see ya real soon!) K-E-Y (why, because we beat you!) M-O-U-S-E on the rare occasion when our team beat theirs. 

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Yeah the track show bands had their own thing going still with the State Fair all the way into the 80's when I marched.  But by that time, field bands were taking over the activity quite a bit.

That's pretty cheeky to rip their Scottish song and take it into mickey mouse theme.   Bishop Dwenger up in Ft. Wayne would distribute their school song to bands for football games and we quickly realized their opening tag was pretty much the Mickey Mouse tune.  We tried talking our director into letting us start with that tag then go into our fight song but he wasn't having it because he knew there'd be blow back.   

Didn't stop us from doing the M-I-C (see ya real soon!) K-E-Y (why, because we beat you!) M-O-U-S-E on the rare occasion when our team beat theirs. 

Princeton HS in NJ never had a marching band. Their long term director hated it. They did not really have a concert band to speak of either. Orchestra was big, and their jazz band program was excellent. They had excellent choirs as well.

They did put together a small pep band for games. When the band I was with played them at Princeton HS, the pep band picked up newspapers and opened them up to cover their faces while we performed at half-time. This was back in the 90's.

The present director got talked into trying to start a marching band a few years back. He too hated marching band. He posted a signup sheet, and nobody signed up.

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

Princeton HS in NJ never had a marching band. Their long term director hated it. They did not really have a concert band to speak of either. Orchestra was big, and their jazz band program was excellent. They had excellent choirs as well.

They did put together a small pep band for games. When the band I was with played them at Princeton HS, the pep band picked up newspapers and opened them up to cover their faces while we performed at half-time. This was back in the 90's.

The present director got talked into trying to start a marching band a few years back. He too hated marching band. He posted a signup sheet, and nobody signed up.

Newspapers was a thing we did at basketball games for opposing teams player introductions.  Pep band antics were rife in Indiana.

On 8/1/2020 at 1:25 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

It's quite liketly that people think is cool today will later seem like a ridiculous fad.

We'll see, maybe.

I think some of the costumes that looked super cool that last 4-5 years already look ridiculous in hindsight to me - they tend to be very trendy and not in a good way 

bostons uniforms from last season are one I expect to age very badly in hindsight 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I think some of the costumes that looked super cool that last 4-5 years already look ridiculous in hindsight to me - they tend to be very trendy and not in a good way 

bostons uniforms from last season are one I expect to age very badly in hindsight 

Eh...imo they weren't great to begin with.

• Like 1