Cadets confirm no return to West Point-style uniform ever

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Bingo.... imo just like valved horns were called bugles, whatever corps members wore were called uniforms, cuz we always called them that.... 

Thinking Hawthorne Muchachos and Caballeros here... uniform as everyone basically wore the same thing. 
Then we have the Leavenworth KS AL Post who wore striped prisoner outfits as a “uniform” in the 1920s or 1930s. (Pic in Hostory of DC)

Exactly!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

There's nothing wrong with changing design, moving to lighter weight material since there are more options now, that sort of thing, but "costumes" are for Halloween, balls, and color guards.  If you think I'm wrong and that (most) 17 - 21 year old young men are clamoring to wear a costume.......all I can tell you is not where I live. 

If you think most 17-21 year old young men are also clamoring to wear traditional "marching band" uniforms, you're most likely wrong about that too. It's important to remember that marching band and drum corps are a niche activity and that there is still a bit of a social stigma (partially thanks to pop culture) with being associated with marching band (ie. it's not cool, nerdy, etc). 

Again, as someone still relatively close to that age group, I would much rather wear something like what Bluecoats 2017 did than what Bluecoats 2012 or 2014 did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

personally I think the term uniform was a stretch in the past, right from the beginning. I guess it's more manly sounding to those who may need that......lol

I believe the phrase you're looking for is "fragile masculinity"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

If you think most 17-21 year old young men are also clamoring to wear traditional "marching band" uniforms, you're most likely wrong about that too. It's important to remember that marching band and drum corps are a niche activity and that there is still a bit of a social stigma (partially thanks to pop culture) with being associated with marching band (ie. it's not cool, nerdy, etc). 

Again, as someone still relatively close to that age group, I would much rather wear something like what Bluecoats 2017 did than what Bluecoats 2012 or 2014 did. 

Let’s see between 16-22 I wore three different types of uniform tops. First wool(?) Cadet type with wire in collar to hold it up (bake oven). Then satin type blouse that showed who really sweated. Finally cloth with designs that really breathed. 
Only problem was having to change one line in the corps song. Went from corps in powder blue to satin blue to black and blue.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Oohhh you’re in a BAND!!! 

Don’t think wearing Cadet type tops helped that any 😜

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Sometimes the unit does not "measure" up and its just facts. Its "hard" to blame them for being "fragile" at that point. Sad but not all are created equal.