The 2001 Thread

Oh ####, oh snap. Finally, a year I actually saw.

Saw my first show in late July, Pittsburgh. Was with my gf (she was my school's drum major) and some other bandos. Didn't really know what to expect. It was definitely my first exposure to top level marching arts.

Looks like Crossmen were there, but I don't remember them at all! 😞 Sorry Xmen 2001 fans.

I recall Bluecoats being really good, but nothing really specific

Cadets had a demeanor that you just knew they had won before the show even started.

I really like the Phantom show from that year, it's a perfect "straight ahead music and drill" type of show. Holds up well today. I love Bartok and their arrangement is good. One of the other kids I was with (our other drum major) was a huge Phantom fan, so that made it more memorable. He ended up marching at Colts for 2-3 years.

3 hours ago, Continental said:

Is 2001 the year Devils came out east early in the season and then went back to the west coast to redo large portions of their show?

20 hours ago, MikeN said:

The most important statistic of 2001 is, of course, that it was the last time DCI would exist without DCP there to talk about it.  On a personal note, I got to see most of the corps in '01 in San Antonio, and of course have watched the DVD's and listened to the CD's for decades now.

In 2001, I met Mike New in the stands in San Antonio. I had difficulty understanding what he was saying, as he spoke Longhorn, but he seemed aight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few standouts for me in 2001...

Of the shows in their threepeat, 2001 is my favorite of the Cavies. Music that was tied to a visual concept. Many on RAMD considered it too dry musically, but I loved the whole package.

I always loved the BD ballad, but I never knew where it was from until the 2009 Regiment show: the Philip Wilby Paganini Variations. Also loved BD's take on the Gershwin prelude. Awayday, however, has never been my cup of tea - either on the field or on the wind ensemble stage.

Glassmen were great, and maybe my second favorite show of theirs behind the Kodaly show.

I've seen a few of the facebook broadcasts that Phantom Regiment has been doing this summer, and I was especially struck by the 2001 story that Pat Siedling told. Phantom Regiment had been in a tough spot financially and something like 50 brass show up to the first camp. They were thisclose to not fielding a corps that year, and according to Siedling, had no business being a finalist. But they had a really fun show and a top six finish. Klesch gonna Klesch. 

I liked the Crossmen and Bluecoats shows a lot. I especially liked the repertoire that Madison chose, and I wish they'd programmed that show when they had a bit more talent and a bit more drive back in the mid-90s. 

19 hours ago, kdaddy said:

In 2001, I met Mike New in the stands in San Antonio. I had difficulty understanding what he was saying, as he spoke Longhorn, but he seemed aight.

Hah - I thought it was '02 for some reason!  You're still my favorite Sooner.  Well, it's a list of one...

Mike

• Haha 2

My review of the June 30, 2001 show at Franklin Field in Philly, from RAMD:

To business:

Jersey Surf - 8th - 56.2.  Strengths: a good soprano soloist, good staging of a proficient color guard and nice choices of music.  I've been waiting to hear "(It's Just) Talk" put on the field.  Weaknesses: hornline is moving fast and it's impacting their playing negatively.  But it's early.  Drill is not written for the closer.
Crowd was favorably disposed - a lot of parents and friends.

Spirit of JSU - 7th - 65.5.  Strengths: intriguing show theme with a variety of textures and some great impact points.  It's a well-conceived, well thought out program which involves the crowd.  Weaknesses:  It's dirty.  Crowd responded well to the program, as noted above.  If they can clean, they will catch Crown.

Carolina Crown - 6th - 65.65.  Strengths: interesting and well-done use of tires (yes, tires) in the middle number on the rubber industry.  Cleaner than Spirit.  Weaknesses: the guard uni's and equipment for the opener are the same color.  I lost the equipment in the uniforms.  There are huge pieces of metal to the right of the pit for little good reason.  The music is forgettable, the visual program unremarkable.  Crowd response sluggish.

Boston Crusaders - 4th - 72.90.  Strengths: geometric visual program and an athletic, aggressive still all-female guard.  They were throwing things the whole night. Solid drumline.  Ballad is nice.  A show of modern music that appeals to the crowd through visuals, numerous references to "Conquest," and simply projection of attitude.  Body sculpting done well.  Weaknesses: Brass will keep them in the middle of the pack.  I really, really enjoyed this program, though.  They had fans in the crowd who were not dissapointed.

(break)

Blue Devils - 1st - 81.65.  Strengths: too numerous to mention.  An especially beautiful ballad accentuated by the visuals.  Weaknesses:  I don't like the striped guard uniforms.  BD's approach to costuming their guard seems to be to make them all unique.  To me this makes it hard for me to see them as a unit from high up.  Although I love BD, this show I did not like.  They did not reach me emotionally from the field.  They stayed on the field, I stayed in the stands.

Cadets - 3rd - 78.85.  Strengths: Moondance, which I love, and which I was whistling on the way home.  I especially like the backfield part (don't change a thing, George!) and the transition into the ballad from "Hannibal."  All captions, as per usual, are excellent.  Weaknesses: This program is uninteresting visually.  In order to make a piece like "Farandole" work, there has to be something extra - the visuals have to build the piece as much as the music.  That is not happening right now.  This show will peak at third place, if that.

Cavaliers - 2nd - 79.65.  Strengths: The Four Corners theme imbues even the most innocent drill move with instant meaning.  The percussion feature is understatement which amazes.  Who said you had to play five billion decibels to be exciting and enthralling?  The Cavies' backfield playing is second to none.  Great allusion to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" near the end of the show.  The guard have two features in the show which would have had the crowd screaming had they been perfect.  As it was, there were gasps and dissapointment when it didn't work.  Weaknesses: Maybe brass, plus there's some cleaning.  And the end will be rewritten, bet on it.  In case you haven't guesses, they are my pick to win it all, unless Santa Clara has the show of the universe.  Cavies over BD at Semis and Finals.

Crossmen - 5th - 70.65.  Strengths: EXCITING and appealing musical program.  Excellent colorguard.  Brass and especially soloists are picking up the pace.  Visual staging of the colorguard is excellent.  Feet seem to be moving better and corps as a whole seems much more at ease with themselves visually (Go Gary!)  Weaknesses: the visual of the corps proper is once again unremarkable, although executed better than in previous years.   The transition into the conclusion of the show, although tasty for the baritones, otherwise makes little sense.  The home crowd fueled them, although with the way they're going, they will have a home crowd at Buffalo.  They will place ninth and have the crowd eating out of their hands.

My captions:

Best overall show - Cavaliers
Best soloists - Crossmen (sorry BD)
Most attitude - Tie (BAC and Crossmen)
Most room for growth - BAC and Jersey Surf
Best crowd response - Crossmen (home show)
Best use of tires - Carolina Crown
Best drums - Blue Devils
Most notes played - Cadets
Most trap sets - Cadets again
Best body sculpting - BAC

A bit of advice: When you go to DCI East, get there early.  Park.  Watch the clinic, if there is one.  Then walk up Spruce Street.  Cross the U. of Penn campus to your right, wandering around ivy covered buildings and leafy, shaded pathways.  Come to Walnut Street and turn left.  Find a place to eat - for an inexpensive meal I recommend "The Fresh Grocer" at 40th and Walnut.  A bit of everything - sandwiches, pizza, entrees, etc.

Chip Frontz
Crossmen 1992

23 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I've seen a few of the facebook broadcasts that Phantom Regiment has been doing this summer, and I was especially struck by the 2001 story that Pat Siedling told. Phantom Regiment had been in a tough spot financially and something like 50 brass show up to the first camp. They were thisclose to not fielding a corps that year, and according to Siedling, had no business being a finalist. But they had a really fun show and a top six finish. Klesch gonna Klesch.

There was one formerly prolific poster here who could not say often enough in 2010 how much he didn't care for Bela Bartok, going so far as to emphasize that Bartok's funeral was sparsely attended. This was in response to SCV's show of that year. Thinking back, though, I don't remember him saying much about Phantom having previously performed the same piece.

23 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I vaguely recall someone else here, at some point in the past ten years, talking up how crisp Phantom's feet were in 2001.

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

There was one formerly prolific poster here who could not say often enough in 2010 how much he didn't care for Bela Bartok, going so far as to emphasize that Bartok's funeral was sparsely attended. This was in response to SCV's show of that year. Thinking back, though, I don't remember him saying much about Phantom having previously performed the same piece.

The only major criticism I've heard on here (or actually RAMD) about 2001 Regiment was the order of the tunes. Peter Bound was highly perturbed that Festive Overture was the closer and not the opener. I guess the powers that be took that criticism to heart, as he was named caption head (or co-caption head with JD Shaw) for the 2002 season.

I disagree with Mr. Bond and thought that the program order was excellent. 

On 8/6/2020 at 2:21 PM, kdaddy said:

Glassmen were great, and maybe my second favorite show of theirs behind the Kodaly show.

I have to backtrack on my comment about not being into shows in 2001.  Your comment about Glassmen made me go and watch the show again.

That flugle soloist was absolute wonderful.