Housing Issues pre-COVID???

Have a side discussion on another thread. Question is if corps have run into issues finding housing, practice or show facilities in the last few years. Or more precise since abuse allegations have come out with various corps. 

housing has been a growing concern since before Hopghazi. liability, cost, later in the year some schools start earlier, some schools due to past abuses never letting anyone back in. many schools in the summer even shut down Friday-Monday to reduce cost and need for staff on site.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Have a side discussion on another thread. Question is if corps have run into issues finding housing, practice or show facilities in the last few years. Or more precise since abuse allegations have come out with various corps. 

Good move.  We've hosted a corps just about every year since 2006.  There were a few of years where it didn't work out due to a large football camp or the fact that the organization waited too late to receive our BOE approval.  The corps has to be approved by our BOE for our school's liability coverage which usually takes about one month.  We also have to have the corps liability insurance bond so there's coverage from both parties.  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 1

As I mentioned on the other thread my old church (since closed) started anti-child abuse training and policies to lower our insurance costs. This was when the Catholic Church and other places with abuse problems were coming to light. We were basically told “start taking steps because you DON’T want to see next years bill without them”. During my terms on council also had to put up “no trespassing “ signs on the (pot holed) parking lot because kids were skateboarding during the week. Someone said that wasn’t Christian to kick them off but our response was protecting ourselves from liability lawsuit. (We knew the kids were doing it so didn’t have ignorance as a defense)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

just remembered there is still a threatened lawsuit over my head concerning the new policy the church had started. At a meeting the youth rep said “Sam” won’t be at the next teen retreat and then “some of the girls will be more relaxed”. When pressed he said “well they think he’s a little huggy but that’s the way he is”. While picking myself off the floor I see one of other members with hands in a throat strangle position. End result “Sam” was told by the minister not to hug the ladies while a cop who was a church member hid in a closet as a witness and for possible protection. Sam went batstuff storming out never to return. Few months later Sams mother in law was talking to my mom (friends for decades go figure). Mom found out Sam was going to sue us all for defamation. My only regret was I couldn’t tell mom what happened. “What if he sues you?”. “Well then I can tell you” did not go over well

Any wonder why schools don’t want to get close to this crap with an outside group. 

• Like 2

While I was a part of the production team for the Dublin, Ohio DCI show two weeks before finals (for 12 years until, gosh, what, 4 years ago now?  Good Lord...), we were perfectly positioned for drum corps traversing from Atlanta to shows in MI, Northern Ohio, and N.E. Penn on their way to Allentown.  Then back again on the trek to Indy.  I, personally, set up the structure to host corps needing overnight accommodations ($1 to Bob Jacobs at Surf for the idea).

I can tell you that it's #### near impossible for even the most enthusiastic band director to convince his school board to allow him/her to "host" a drum corps overnight in their facilities.  Even leasing all of the square footage (drivers' sleeping quarters, corps housing, food truck hookups, showers, gyms, and stadium liability, ad nauseum) the dollars of income to host a corps is scarcely enough to justify the public good-will, let alone profit the district or school for the liability of having 200 people (KIDS!) sleeping overnight ("boys over here, girls over there", are you f'-ing kidding me??) in their middle school.

This part of drum corps has been needing serious and enthusiastic attention for, at least, a decade.  Covid will likely force the discussion and decisions. 

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If there is a season next year; it will be interesting to see how the activity navigates around the revised high school athletics schedule for shows in Minnesota. Football has been moved to the Spring and the sports that traditionally take place in the Spring will run from May 15th - July 15th. That pretty much kills any shows in Minnesota. 

6 hours ago, garfield said:

While I was a part of the production team for the Dublin, Ohio DCI show two weeks before finals (for 12 years until, gosh, what, 4 years ago now?  Good Lord...), we were perfectly positioned for drum corps traversing from Atlanta to shows in MI, Northern Ohio, and N.E. Penn on their way to Allentown.  Then back again on the trek to Indy.  I, personally, set up the structure to host corps needing overnight accommodations ($1 to Bob Jacobs at Surf for the idea).

I can tell you that it's #### near impossible for even the most enthusiastic band director to convince his school board to allow him/her to "host" a drum corps overnight in their facilities.  Even leasing all of the square footage (drivers' sleeping quarters, corps housing, food truck hookups, showers, gyms, and stadium liability, ad nauseum) the dollars of income to host a corps is scarcely enough to justify the public good-will, let alone profit the district or school for the liability of having 200 people (KIDS!) sleeping overnight ("boys over here, girls over there", are you f'-ing kidding me??) in their middle school.

This part of drum corps has needing serious and enthusiastic attention for, at least, a decade.  Covid will likely force the discussion and decisions. 

even for weekend camps, Covid has created nightmares for planning

11 hours ago, corps8294 said:

If there is a season next year; it will be interesting to see how the activity navigates around the revised high school athletics schedule for shows in Minnesota. Football has been moved to the Spring and the sports that traditionally take place in the Spring will run from May 15th - July 15th. That pretty much kills any shows in Minnesota. 

Well, we know who'll win those events on the schedule.

• Like 1