Housing Issues pre-COVID???

2 hours ago, garfield said:

I think it's likely that drum corps will continue to be able to rent facilities.  Hillsdale college previewed a fogging machine that fogs and sanitizes their entire indoor athletic facility in 20 min and to 95% effectiveness in killing Covid on surfaces.  Maybe each drum corps carries a "sanitation team" that follows the corps to clean up, and even clean the corps instruments and equipment daily.

Good for Hillsdale. Innovation is wonderful, although I wonder if in the end, measures like will prove to be anything more than security theater.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually the discussion starting point is cost to the school and liability.

one thing today i have heard is the demands of what the corps "have to have". Even an event like Allentown has corps housing 2 some hour away, which knowing SEPA and Lehigh Valley traffic is actually 3 hours. Not everywhere has Texas sized campuses and the number of availabe fields

"...have to have..."

In one year we were fortunate enough to have a "blue" corps from out west schedule our show in their season, the first time this corps performed in our venue.  Much excitement ensued and we marketed the H-E-L-L out of the fact that a "west, blue" corps was going to perform.  Ticket sales were booming and local hype was at a level not seen before.

In pulls the "blue" corps to one of our "premier" facilities.  Brand-spanking new, very large school, with amazing athletic facilities made available exclusively for them, all athletic fields cleared of sports for the three days the "blue" stayed in town, and premier parking at the show site.

They arrived in the middle of the night.  The tour director, who had a reputation of being generally "###### off" at something, demanded the single emergency sodium light fixture in the gym be turned off.  Upon being told that "It's an emergency light, it has to stay on", this tour director found the school custodian and demanded that he turn off the light so his kids could sleep.  The custodian brought out the scissor jack and proceeded to remove the bulbs from the emergency light.

The next day, we show producers got a very nasty letter from the district administration, condemning the tour manager and the show producers for letting him turn out the lights.  "A safety issue!  I don't care what this guy thinks should be done 'for his kids', those lights are EMERGENCY lights.  They light the way for the kids if there's an emergency.  They should have never been disconnected."

The custodian was reprimanded, the show producers were called in for a personal meeting in the district's offices, and the "blue" corps never graced our show again, thank God.

Some say the tour director did what was necessary to take care of his kids.  I'm not sure.  I'd imagine there would be huge confusion among the sleeping performers had there actually been an emergency.

I've never shared that story.  I feel better having done so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Being a Tour Manager, I'm looking at 3 different budget plan...  No Tour, Local only & Small regional weekend tour...

My biggest concerns is rehearsal sites & housing. I've done hotel housing before with SoCal Dream All AGE (DCA), but now I'm with Impulse  (DCI Open Class).

This is gonna be fun...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

"...have to have..."

In one year we were fortunate enough to have a "blue" corps from out west schedule our show in their season, the first time this corps performed in our venue.  Much excitement ensued and we marketed the H-E-L-L out of the fact that a "west, blue" corps was going to perform.  Ticket sales were booming and local hype was at a level not seen before.

In pulls the "blue" corps to one of our "premier" facilities.  Brand-spanking new, very large school, with amazing athletic facilities made available exclusively for them, all athletic fields cleared of sports for the three days the "blue" stayed in town, and premier parking at the show site.

They arrived in the middle of the night.  The tour director, who had a reputation of being generally "###### off" at something, demanded the single emergency sodium light fixture in the gym be turned off.  Upon being told that "It's an emergency light, it has to stay on", this tour director found the school custodian and demanded that he turn off the light so his kids could sleep.  The custodian brought out the scissor jack and proceeded to remove the bulbs from the emergency light.

The next day, we show producers got a very nasty letter from the district administration, condemning the tour manager and the show producers for letting him turn out the lights.  "A safety issue!  I don't care what this guy thinks should be done 'for his kids', those lights are EMERGENCY lights.  They light the way for the kids if there's an emergency.  They should have never been disconnected."

The custodian was reprimanded, the show producers were called in for a personal meeting in the district's offices, and the "blue" corps never graced our show again, thank God.

Some say the tour director did what was necessary to take care of his kids.  I'm not sure.  I'd imagine there would be huge confusion among the sleeping performers had there actually been an emergency.

And having pulled into a school in the middle of the night as a MM, I can testify no amount of light would have kept me awake.

6 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Is it a real vaccine or a Sears vaccine! No mention at all in No Cal. 

Yes, real vaccine in real production.  Six additional vaccines (vaccines are regional) in final two weeks of phase 3 trials expected to produce scale distribution by Sept 1.  Over 100 vaccines in trials for scale distribution before Jan 1.

These truths drive many nuts because "...trials take two years!".  BS.

We in the US solve problems.  It's what we do.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

"...have to have..."

That would go over great at a school board meeting if the story got out. “All in favor of letting another one of these groups use our facilities say aye. And for anyone saying aye... good luck at the next election🥵

Edited by JimF-LowBari