Housing Issues pre-COVID???

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yes, real vaccine in real production.  Six additional vaccines (vaccines are regional) in final two weeks of phase 3 trials expected to produce scale distribution by Sept 1.  Over 100 vaccines in trials for scale distribution before Jan 1.

These truths drive many nuts because "...trials take two years!".  BS.

We in the US solve problems.  It's what we do.

So if there’s a vaccine why isn’t it being distributed and why are they estimating 300k deaths by December? Would be criminal if there is a vaccine. 

23 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Is it a real vaccine or a Sears vaccine! No mention at all in No Cal. 

Well we have stuff and then we have stuff that has been fully tested, approved and ready to roll out... Until then it’s just “stuff”. Too many years of govt service and seeing promised things crash and burn. Will wait until end of testing and wait to make sure no unexpected long term effects until I breath easy. Or think it’s safe to open up schools fully to anyone

edit: while posting got an email of another parade cancelled... a HALLOWEEN parade... sponsors not taking chances with the HS band members and youngsters in the parade and families watching

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

• White House coronavirus advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci that the chances of scientists creating a highly effective vaccine — one that provides 98% or more guaranteed protection — for the virus are slim.
  • Scientists are hoping for a coronavirus vaccine that is at least 75% effective, but 50% or 60% effective would be acceptable, too, he said.
  • The FDA has said it would authorize a coronavirus vaccine so long as it is safe and at least 50% effective. 

From today’s CNBC

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

At least Hillsdale recognized the theater.  Most schools pander to their advantage.

Wiki is the worst kind of Fake News.

No discredit meant to Hillsdale College, at all; by most accounts it's a solid liberal arts college with a storied history and it provides a great experience for its students. And it's in a charming little town, too (I passed through there once and stopped briefly while returning from a conference to the north). I was quite serious in praising their spirit of innovation, and I totally believe that their fogger works as described; I just wonder whether that actually makes a significant difference. Here's hoping it does. Also I absolutely agree that it may be entirely to drum corps' advantage to take such measures even if they are nothing more than theater. Appearances count for much, and if potential housing sites can be swayed by these things, by all means adopt them.

As for the limitations of Wikipedia, if someone has a better general free online encyclopedia that provides basic information on pretty much any subject, by all means point me to it. (Note that page identifies both some advantages and disadvantages of security theater.) Don't know whether it qualifies as news, though, fake or otherwise. In general, I find that when someone throws out the term "fake news," and I ask them to list some news sources they trust, I get no answer. For a lot of people, the term seems to mean "sources that report things I don't want to hear about, even if they're true," but I know you don't think that way and were just using it as a figure of speech.

(FWIW, my biggest gripe about the media is the tendency to "both sides" everything. Objectivity is not the same thing as neutrality.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Sorry, but I would challenge several of the thoughts in your post.

3 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

I do believe a DCI-level product can survive and regroup. However, my thinking is, some sort of touring schedule in 2021 is essential. 

No, a 2021 tour is not essential.  In fact, by the governing standard in most states, drum corps is what we now call "non-essential business".

A 2021 tour may be ruled out in the end, simply because pandemic restrictions are not over yet.

DCI can’t cut loose sponsors, fans, and media exposure for a second straight season.

Why not?  DCI will still want sponsor money in 2022.  Sponsors will still want DCI visibility for promotion and market access in 2022.  

(Then again, the premise that DCI has cut sponsors loose is not entirely true anyway.)

A reduced size public presence would keep interest going and motivate other groups to persevere.

That may be true... but a "tour" is not the only way to accomplish that.  Witness what is going on here in 2020 for some examples.

We’ve recently discussed the old G-7 thinking. I’m glad that didn’t take off. However, the activity’s survival now probably does rest with a small group of elite, able, and willing corps to keep the flame burning. Now, will we have 8 elite groups who can manage a more costly, promotional-style, and inspiring tour?

What sense does it make to rush out eight corps by themselves on an unsustainable (IMO) tour? 

First and foremost, nobody will be touring until virus mitigation makes us comfortable packing buses full of corps kids for 8-hour drives.  No corps is so "elite" as to be above that.

Once it is possible to pack corps kids onto buses again, we will need as many corps as possible participating if we intend to string a national tour together.  IMO, eight = impending extinction.  Circumstances that only permit eight corps to participate are unacceptable.  That applies whether those "circumstances" are dictated by external conditions, or internal insanity.

G-7, G-8, G-whatever, always depended on operating as a subset of (like you said) "elite" corps amid a sea of others.  The "haves/have-nots" model only works if there are "have-nots".  I sure hope no one in DCI/corps leadership intends to put that theory to the test... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both Moderna and Pfizer are saying they have a vaccine, but it is not approved. So it is correct in theory to say that there is a vaccine, but it has not been fully tested or approved by the FDA. Until it is approved, it is the same as not having a vaccine. That being said, epidemiologists from some of the major Boston hospitals are optimistic about the trials and have said so on local television interviews, though are cautious too. Also, as the testing is going on, Pfizer and Moderna are manufacturing doses which the government will reimburse them for if the tests do not prove they work, so the manufacturers are not losing money if it’s a failure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No, a 2021 tour is not essential.  In fact, by the governing standard in most states, drum corps is what we now call "non-essential business".

I think Fred meant a tour would be "essential to DCI's (or the corps') survival" or something like that.

He may be wrong about that, but I don't think it's fair to read him as claiming that drum corps were in the same category as, say, hospitals or grocery stores.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

"...have to have..."

In one year we were fortunate enough to have a "blue" corps from out west schedule our show in their season, the first time this corps performed in our venue.  Much excitement ensued and we marketed the H-E-L-L out of the fact that a "west, blue" corps was going to perform.  Ticket sales were booming and local hype was at a level not seen before.

In pulls the "blue" corps to one of our "premier" facilities.  Brand-spanking new, very large school, with amazing athletic facilities made available exclusively for them, all athletic fields cleared of sports for the three days the "blue" stayed in town, and premier parking at the show site.

They arrived in the middle of the night.  The tour director, who had a reputation of being generally "###### off" at something, demanded the single emergency sodium light fixture in the gym be turned off.  Upon being told that "It's an emergency light, it has to stay on", this tour director found the school custodian and demanded that he turn off the light so his kids could sleep.  The custodian brought out the scissor jack and proceeded to remove the bulbs from the emergency light.

The next day, we show producers got a very nasty letter from the district administration, condemning the tour manager and the show producers for letting him turn out the lights.  "A safety issue!  I don't care what this guy thinks should be done 'for his kids', those lights are EMERGENCY lights.  They light the way for the kids if there's an emergency.  They should have never been disconnected."

The custodian was reprimanded, the show producers were called in for a personal meeting in the district's offices, and the "blue" corps never graced our show again, thank God.

Some say the tour director did what was necessary to take care of his kids.  I'm not sure.  I'd imagine there would be huge confusion among the sleeping performers had there actually been an emergency.

I've never shared that story.  I feel better having done so.

They turned off the ghostlight?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I have seen a photo (which I can't seem to find online) of ~1949 Cavaliers boy scout troop in tents w/ the bugles lined up outside.

Everything old is new again....

In 1971, we (Garfield) played a Dolphin/49'er summer exhibition game in Miami on our way to Dallas for VFW Nats at the Cotton Bowl.

We stayed at a private school for a week, rehearsing for Nats. We left Miami to head towards Dallas, and stopped in Baton Rouge for the night. For whatever reason, we had no facility for housing...not sure why.

Somehow, we got permission to camp out at a football stadium that night, so we slept under the stars on air mattresses.