Housing Issues pre-COVID???

12 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I agree.  But the state definition of "essential" will take precedence, wherever/whenever invoked.

Uh, says who?

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It was probably easier to convince "administrators" BITD when there was a local Corps, at least local enough that a few students from the school district were marching.  Obtaining housing is yet another area that is negatively impacted by the demise of local Corps membership.    If some of the members are local, and the local Corps is sponsoring the show & needs housing for 4-6 Corps for a night or 2 it would probably a bit easier to get housing for them.

I fear a bunch of decades-old decision by DCI are about to come home to roost.  

Personally, I think a school housing a corps depends in large part on the relationship the school's band director has with the administration and athletic director, and how much the band director really desires hosting a corps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Both Moderna and Pfizer are saying they have a vaccine, but it is not approved. So it is correct in theory to say that there is a vaccine, but it has not been fully tested or approved by the FDA. Until it is approved, it is the same as not having a vaccine. That being said, epidemiologists from some of the major Boston hospitals are optimistic about the trials and have said so on local television interviews, though are cautious too. Also, as the testing is going on, Pfizer and Moderna are manufacturing doses which the government will reimburse them for if the tests do not prove they work, so the manufacturers are not losing money if it’s a failure. 

J&J is also starting Phase 3 trials. They signed a huge deal with the US government to provide 100,000,000 doses about $10/dose. The government can also purchase 200,000,000 more as part of the agreement. J&J itself is aiming to provide 1,000,000,000 doses world wide in 2021 if the vaccine pans out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeD said:

J&J is also starting Phase 3 trials. They signed a huge deal with the US government to provide 100,000,000 doses about $10/dose. The government can also purchase 200,000,000 more as part of the agreement. J&J itself is aiming to provide 1,000,000,000 doses world wide in 2021 if the vaccine pans out.

I do believe there is light at the end of the tunnel, but there is so much going on and people are getting so disheartened, and in so many cases and situations rightfully so, it is hard to see. 

• Thanks 1

The following page shows the vaccines that are currently in Phase 2 or 3 trials at the moment. There are quite a few worldwide. I have heard excellent reports about the vaccine work coming out of Oxford University. 

https://www.raps.org/news-and-articles/news-articles/2020/3/covid-19-vaccine-tracker

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I do not understand your question.  Are you suggesting that DCI or their corps will violate C-19 government orders?  Their actions so far demonstrate cooperation and compliance.

Oh please.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think Fred meant a tour would be "essential to DCI's (or the corps') survival" or something like that.

He may be wrong about that, but I don't think it's fair to read him as claiming that drum corps were in the same category as, say, hospitals or grocery stores.

Thank you !

At a time like this, it’s best to keep everyone engaged. To the best of your ability so long as you can.  Best example is what DCI is offering tonight with its March On public fundraising event.

I believe DCI will have a smaller group of performing corps who are able to take on a limited touring schedule. Provided it’s all safe and legal, nothing would be better for survival than to go with that. Relationships, practices and procedures, remain. As the 2021 tour moves around, nearby drum corps and related activities can join in.

Some continuity in process allows every interested party a chance to continue participation. Highest level marching music continues on the ‘menu’ for sale. 

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Poppycock said:

So if there’s a vaccine why isn’t it being distributed and why are they estimating 300k deaths by December? Would be criminal if there is a vaccine. 

Any other questions?  https://www.raps.org/news-and-articles/news-articles/2020/3/covid-19-vaccine-tracker

One vaccine is already OUT of trials and approved for limited public use in senior centers, nursing homes, and among older emergency staff.

I remember many saying just a few months ago that it would DEFINITELY be two years before any vaccine is out of trial.

There's valid vaticination and then there's vapid vaticination, and not a single soothsayer was able to predict where the stock market would finish any day, or tell me in advance what the MegaLotto numbers would be.  And yet, here we are.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MikeD said:

I keep hours that most people would think crazy (sleeping only four or five and arriving at work at 5am) in order to watch the world financial markets open, close, and operate.  Back in February, I was watching the European version of Bloomberg news from London at about 4am ET and saw an interview with the head of research operations for J&J, based out of Austria (IIRC).  It was a long discussion of development, efficacy, and distribution.   His comments, the first I'd heard of vaccine development, were that, to J&J, success is defined by "85/100", meaning they attain 85% efficacy in the highest at-risk group (elderly, I would bet, in this case) and scale to deliver 100-million doses.

Looks like they've attained that.

So, 99.7% survivability in the at risk group (age 60 and over), 99.97% survivability among 30-year olds and older, 85% efficacy, and not just 100-million doses, but 100-million REGIONAL doses meaning efficacy across distance - the hardest goal to reach.  

And it appears that J&J's vaccine protects with one shot.  Multiple shots per season is not necessary with the J&J drug so the fears of multiple shots required for protection per season were also unfounded.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-30/j-j-s-covid-vaccine-protected-primates-with-single-shot

Best headline news of all is that it appears every, single participant in drum corps will be protected by the J&J drug.  Especially drummers.  EDIT:  And contra players.  Those people are gorillas.

😆

Edited by garfield
  • Thanks 1