Housing Issues pre-COVID???

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Just ask the Kilties.

i could name more than a few corps from days gone by, some still in existence

20 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Also doing some math here - 

in 2019, there were ~110 competitions, and lets say 30 Corps (it was higher, but this fudges for Open Class Corps who don't do full tour).  That means DCI would need 3,300 sites to bed-down touring Corps.   Some for one night, some for multiple nights.  It may also be possible for some locations to house more than one Corps.  But, when you do the math, the magnitude of the problem emerges.  

There may have been about 110 contests, but they did not each have 30 corps.  Most contests had somewhere between 5 and 10 corps participating.

12 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

I’ll say what I don’t think many will... DCI is most likely done. From a financial and operational standpoint, unless there is a major infusion of money from another source, it will be almost impossible for the organization to pick up where they left off. If we do get back to touring, the landscape is going to change dramatically. Some of the familiar faces will be gone, tours will most likely be regional at best, and there could still be limited capacity at shows. DCI has been dodging bullets for years, but this one is probably the one that does it in for good.

I’ve been alluding to this for months. DCI has no plan and until there is a plan there’s no drum corps. DCI has yet to provide an update or current status of the activity, yet panhandling for donations. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

There may have been about 110 contests, but they did not each have 30 corps.  Most contests had somewhere between 5 and 10 corps participating.

That isn’t what I was trying to show.  Each of the 30 Corps need housing every day over the season, whether it is a competition day, practice day, or free day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

I’ll say what I don’t think many will... DCI is most likely done. From a financial and operational standpoint, unless there is a major infusion of money from another source, it will be almost impossible for the organization to pick up where they left off. If we do get back to touring, the landscape is going to change dramatically. Some of the familiar faces will be gone, tours will most likely be regional at best, and there could still be limited capacity at shows. DCI has been dodging bullets for years, but this one is probably the one that does it in for good.

Perhaps.  But I wouldn’t discount the resilience of the human spirit, our creativity, or our ability to solve problems in the face of adversity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

I’ve been alluding to this for months. DCI has no plan and until there is a plan there’s no drum corps. DCI has yet to provide an update or current status of the activity, yet panhandling for donations. 

Question is will any plans from DCI be aimed towards corps survival or DCIs survival. And will corps plans for survival run counter to anything DCI comes up with.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

I continue to believe, even if just a few (8?) DCI-affiliated corps are able to conduct just one national tour leading to Indianapolis, all corps will benefit. Those corps who can perform locally, even if  just in concert, but who are unable to travel extensively during 2021, get a chance to re-group as best they can. Simply put, they will have something to come back to!

I have faith.

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

No plan?  They are formulating plans against numerous scenarios for a possible 2021 season far ahead of time.

No update?  They gave us an update (including the above) on the video stream this weekend.

Panhandling for donations - seems wiser than the alternative (to stop soliciting donations).

• Thanks 2