Housing Issues pre-COVID???

I don't think school districts (anywhere) will allow corps to stay or rehearse at their schools anymore. To much money to disinfect before, during and after. No housing and no rehearsal sites mean no more drum corps! I know this is not what you want to hear and some will attack me for saying this (I know there are more intelligent people out there) but I think it will cost to much money for the corps AND schools. Just ask some school districts and you'll get your answer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

I don't think school districts (anywhere) will allow corps to stay or rehearse at their schools anymore. To much money to disinfect before, during and after. No housing and no rehearsal sites mean no more drum corps! I know this is not what you want to hear and some will attack me for saying this (I know there are more intelligent people out there) but I think it will cost to much money for the corps AND schools. Just ask some school districts and you'll get your answer.

I’m thinking even after CV has passed or a vaccine has been used schools will be VERY leery of having outsiders use the facilities. Thinking would be “it happened before and there is no guarantee it will not happen again”.

6 minutes ago, darkman said:

2 per bunk and “if you have tall passengers the number may go down”. Wonder if people like me 5’ 6” would be recruited lol.

Family has connection to transportation so thanks for the site. Interesting stuff with the different configurations.

34 minutes ago, darkman said:

Mentioned that in another thread awhile back.   Boston used one for a few seasons for staff and kitchen volunteers.  But, unless you think outside the box for rehearsal locations (back to parking lots again?) or KOA's (also mentioned) for showers and such, the logistics might deter this possibility.  

11 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Mentioned that in another thread awhile back.   Boston used one for a few seasons for staff and kitchen volunteers.  But, unless you think outside the box for rehearsal locations (back to parking lots again?) or KOA's (also mentioned) for showers and such, the logistics might deter this possibility.  

Wonder what KOA and other campsites policy is for large group making meals. If it’s just your immediate group fine. But large size set ups for 150+ hmmmmm....

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

But the season is not 110 days long.

OK - not counting Spring Training, 15 days in June, 31 in July & 10 in August make 56 days. Multiply by 30 Corps & you have 1680 Bed-Down Location-Days (BDLDs, pronounced Bee Dee Ell Dees).  Which cuts the problem in half, but it is still a large bite to chew.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darkman said:

55 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

2 per bunk and “if you have tall passengers the number may go down”. Wonder if people like me 5’ 6” would be recruited lol.

Family has connection to transportation so thanks for the site. Interesting stuff with the different configurations.

It says they Sleep 40, so each Corps would need 4 of them.  x 30 Corps = 120 sleeper coaches.  Over a 56 day season.  anyone want to guess what this would cost (I could ask for a quote, but as I am about number 15,906 on DCI's decision-making ranking I don't think it is appropriate.

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

OK - not counting Spring Training, 15 days in June, 31 in July & 10 in August make 56 days. Multiply by 30 Corps & you have 1680 Bed-Down Location-Days (BDLDs, pronounced Bee Dee Ell Dees).  Which cuts the problem in half, but it is still a large bite to chew.

But,why wouldn't you count Spring training ?

Unless you foresee corps eliminating it completely.

I would think every corps needs some type of Spring training,before they go on tour.

Even 2 weeks,increases BDLDs to 70.

I also don't know how easy it will be to find places willing to accommodate a corps for an extended period

for Spring Training.

53 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I also don't know how easy it will be to find places willing to accommodate a corps for an extended period

for Spring Training.

Around mid 2000s Cadets were using Gettysburg College as a preseason camp area. Not sure how long or how it fit into the schedule but they and Crossmen gave an exhibition during that time. Was part of Gettysburg Brass Band Festival week but then the corps show got too expensive and show was dropped. No idea if Cadets used Gburg as a camp after that. Remember hearing at the time that another local school turned down having Cadets but missed details why.

edit: had possible infighting in original post. Now remember it might have been another Gburg group with issues.

Edited by JimF-LowBari