Housing Issues pre-COVID???

18 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Yes! Can you do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around? If so, please do it. 

That’s what it’s all about.. 😜

Ugh getting to the age where thinking about doing this on roller skates in the 70s/80s hurts. “do the *thud*...”

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Uh, says who?

well, drum corps isn't health care or critical infrastructure keeping the world alive

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well, drum corps isn't health care or critical infrastructure keeping the world alive

Neither is financial - was it only investment markets or banks, too?  

I've not missed a day of work and I'll bet you've been, at least, remote working.

On 8/6/2020 at 3:47 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Have a side discussion on another thread. Question is if corps have run into issues finding housing, practice or show facilities in the last few years. Or more precise since abuse allegations have come out with various corps. 

Frankly, our local school band directors have already shunned drum corps as "taking away from" their programs even as they repeat drum corps show elements and claim to desire drum corps cleanliness.

So, yea, there were acceptance problems during the abuse allegations.  As a result of abuse allegations?  So far, only Jeff has provided any evidence and, of course, that's in an accused's "stomping grounds".  Haven't seen any posters from TX and WI can pipe in.

And yea, my experience is that reluctance was growing prior to, and has continued through, abuse reports.  But, again, I can't claim it was ever as a result of allegations anywhere.  Mostly, it was about money and lease rates and keeping the A/D's happy, and "You want how many schools?".  And annually there were raised eyebrows at "boys and girls".  But I have never heard any direct associations of allegations and refusal to host except here and by Jeff.

Based on the number on on-topic responses, I'd say that, among this posting crowd, there's little or no knowledge of those situations happening.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Neither is financial - was it only investment markets or banks, too?  

I've not missed a day of work and I'll bet you've been, at least, remote working.

i have been working yes. but not as prosperous as i could have been.

and drum corps is not as high on the critical list as we are

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Sorry, but I truly do not understand what your issue is.  Allow me to review and clarify.

Fred contends that some sort of 2021 tour is essential - so essential, in fact, that it is worth defying any acute housing challenge and turning the entire DCI activity into a G-7 to achieve it.  I contend that the pandemic may not permit drum corps touring in 2021, and therefore, the conversation must include a plan B where touring has to wait until 2022.

Are you with me so far?

To clarify . . . I already indicated I did not support the original G-7 concept. My post also states others corps can still participate in what would be a shortened 2021 tour.  I expect those additional participants would be corps not able to participate as they had done in 2019, likely due to this 2020 shutdown and difficulty finding members, etc.

As far as I’m concerned, a 2021 Tour could be a ‘G-30‘ or any higher number. The greater the better!

Truthfully, I would not be surprised if just 8-12 groups choose to travel extensively. Arrangements will be difficult and accommodations too expensive for many corps, but not all.  

Even if just 8-10 groups can set out for long distance, overnight travel, etc., that small number can represent all corps. Any corps able to run one-day-only trips, can perform at one of the scheduled tour days as it passes through their region. Everyone gets a chance to conduct a relatively normal season. One determined only by what they can handle while they regroup.

Even a limited scale DCI Tour will produce benefits. Like sponsorships, ticket and merchandise sales. 2021 DVDs, and telecasts.

If it’s 8 corps on the road, or 30 corps on the road, the key is continue on in some form until everyone has recovered from the ‘damage’ of 2020 with the COVID-19 restrictions.

This is not an endorsement of the goals of the original G-7. The goals in 2021 would be more inclusive and help everyone as much as possible. Nothing sinister at all.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1