DCI Telethon

33 minutes ago, garfield said:

Wow, what a magnificent story about Zingali's brilliance.  Really touching.

George was a dear friend of mine and I knew most of the cross to cross story but not about the side trip to St. Anthony’s. What a wonderful vignette. 

• Like 2

USMC -- Get it done using only 2 valves. 

Drum Corps has always been analogous to cat herding, albeit the cats are extremely talented and creative, and maybe that's why it's so tricky. If it's going to be saved (and I do mean "saved"), it will take a monumental effort for unity among all of us, dinosaurs, robots, and young Turks alike. And I don't refer simply to DCI, or DCA. I'm talking about pageantry music in its entirety.

Someone mentioned "type A" personalities, and there are more of them per square inch in this activity any other endeavor I can think of. We all think we can "fix the opener" (and we can), but we will have to cooperate like never before, Blue Teams, Red Teams and Purple. We are all on the same space ship.

"In Step" is a good example. You want diversity down the line? Start with the young ones, the elementary and middle school kids. Do outreach to those communities and demographics. And I don't mean to simply recruit the kids. You must recruit the parents, in the same way successful high school band programs do.

It's clear to me we'll have to re-invent this monolith, starting with the foundation. I'm convinced I'm right, of course, having fixed many an opener and being one of those type A Boomer dinosaurs who was a National Champion when most here were DNA molecules. (That's a joke, y'all.)

While you are figuring out how you can bring your own valuable talents to bear on reviving Drum Corps, make a donation to somebody. We need unity here. That's more important than anything else at this moment.

• Like 2

I applaud DCI for doing this. Gladly made my donation!  Hope everyone is well!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skevinp said:

Crud, just saw this.  Wondering how long after the broadcast time it will remain available.

As of 10:20 EDT Sunday, it's still on YouTube. 

14 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

USMC -- Get it done using only 2 valves. 

Col Truman Crawford was adamant about keeping the 2v horns; when budget crunches came to the musical units of the Marine Corps, they could point to the fact that they were the only unit in the military with this unique instrumentation, go cut the budget somewhere else.

• Like 2