DCI Telethon

15 hours ago, garfield said:

I tell ya', that Star show in '91... wow.

Still one of the best overall shows I have ever seen. Maybe one of the best and most talented corps to ever take the field, and they had a star-studded list of designers who would end up/or will be DCI Hall of Famers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Col Truman Crawford was adamant about keeping the 2v horns; when budget crunches came to the musical units of the Marine Corps, they could point to the fact that they were the only unit in the military with this unique instrumentation, go cut the budget somewhere else.

Sir!  Yes sir!

• Like 2

Hearing the story behind Star 1991 and the double cross, parts of which I knew though other parts were new, was great. I had never heard the George Z. visit to  St. Anthony Church story until last night. St. Anthony in Revere had a CYO band. They were not perennial champions, but they had a following and were always innovative. I don’t know whether George Z. marched in the band prior to marching in 27th, though I believe as an adult he wrote drill and if not instructed the guard, he did advise them and quite a few guard members were part of Quasar, one of the early WGI powerhouses.

However, hearing  all that went into the 1991 Star show made me realize how much times have changed. I was at the 1991 Lynn show. I seem to remember the crowd was more excited about seeing Santa Clara than Star, not out of a dislike or lack of appreciation for Star, but Santa Clara was not a frequent visitor to the Boston area and Star was still new. The SCV  “Miss Saigon” show was also popular. Star was well received, no question, and the show was fascinating. However, though the innovation was obvious,  most of us had no idea of how historical it would become or the big changes that had taken place. There were rumblings about a new ending, but very few of us knew about the old ending. In 1991, there was no YouTube, Facebook, or Flo Marching. Internet access was not common except on college campuses. I believe “Drum Corps News” had ceased publication and the best source of information “Drum Corps World” would not arrive until a week or two after shows, which was considered current. Today, we’d know about such massive changes as they happened. 

I don’t think any of us will see the Telethon as a substitute for finals, but given that so many of us really miss DCI this year, it was a great trip down memory lanes watch the “Run it Backs” and hopefully a successful fundraiser. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

Hearing the story behind Star 1991 and the double cross, parts of which I knew though other parts were new, was great. I had never heard the George Z. visit to  St. Anthony Church story until last night. St. Anthony in Revere had a CYO band. They were not perennial champions, but they had a following and were always innovative. I don’t know whether George Z. marched in the band prior to marching in 27th, though I believe as an adult he wrote drill and if not instructed the guard, he did advise them and quite a few guard members were part of Quasar, one of the early WGI powerhouses.

However, hearing  all that went into the 1991 Star show made me realize how much times have changed. I was at the 1991 Lynn show. I seem to remember the crowd was more excited about seeing Santa Clara than Star, not out of a dislike or lack of appreciation for Star, but Santa Clara was not a frequent visitor to the Boston area and Star was still new. The SCV  “Miss Saigon” show was also popular. Star was well received, no question, and the show was fascinating. However, though the innovation was obvious,  most of us had no idea of how historical it would become or the big changes that had taken place. There were rumblings about a new ending, but very few of us knew about the old ending. In 1991, there was no YouTube, Facebook, or Flo Marching. Internet access was not common except on college campuses. I believe “Drum Corps News” had ceased publication and the best source of information “Drum Corps World” would not arrive until a week or two after shows, which was considered current. Today, we’d know about such massive changes as they happened. 

I don’t think any of us will see the Telethon as a substitute for finals, but given that so many of us really miss DCI this year, it was a great trip down memory lanes watch the “Run it Backs” and hopefully a successful fundraiser. 

I remember walking from the Zingali house on Floyd Street to a subway stop not too far away, but en route we crossed St. Anthony’s parking lot. I recall, clear as day, seeing spray-painted in red on the asphalt, the words, “Zing Step.” The Zing step is what George taught the Lancers as the proper way to march, with an exaggerated heal-toe roll. So he probably had connections with St. Anthony’s band. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

On 8/9/2020 at 3:05 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

I remember walking from the Zingali house on Floyd Street to a subway stop not too far away, but en route we crossed St. Anthony’s parking lot. I recall, clear as day, seeing spray-painted in red on the asphalt, the words, “Zing Step.” The Zing step is what George taught the Lancers as the proper way to march, with an exaggerated heal-toe roll. So he probably had connections with St. Anthony’s band. 

"One-ee-and-a STEP!"

• Like 1

Yes Tim Drum Corps News folded mid 1980s. Had a subscription for my DCA fix and it started following MB world more and then pfft....

On 8/9/2020 at 3:05 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

Just watched that part of the broadcast.

I can only imagine what Zingali went through before his death.  Yet, he kept the strength of his faith.   The side trip to St. Anthony's story was very moving. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gak27 said:

"One-ee-and-a STEP!"

You’re right! That subdividing so we wouldn’t start a move until the final 1/8 note is what made our marching look so crisp.

On 8/9/2020 at 8:21 AM, jwillis35 said:

Still one of the best overall shows I have ever seen. Maybe one of the best and most talented corps to ever take the field, and they had a star-studded list of designers who would end up/or will be DCI Hall of Famers.

What was unfortunate was a lot of people back then just didn't like them. For me the 1990 show is still my favorite of theirs in their young history. The new kid in town was not liked very much. I always wonder why they just ended after 1993.