DCI Telethon

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

You’re right! That subdividing so we wouldn’t start a move until the final 1/8 note is what made our marching look so crisp.

Parking lot near Revere Beach for rehearsals....

58 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

What was unfortunate was a lot of people back then just didn't like them. For me the 1990 show is still my favorite of theirs in their young history. The new kid in town was not liked very much. I always wonder why they just ended after 1993.

They just took it on the road and...………………………………………………………………………………………….

BLAST!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

What was unfortunate was a lot of people back then just didn't like them. For me the 1990 show is still my favorite of theirs in their young history. The new kid in town was not liked very much. I always wonder why they just ended after 1993.

The official reason can be seen on the 1994 Legacy DVD where you see the origins of “Blast!” and the corps’ decision to move in a different direction. At the time, many saw it as sour grapes over not winning the title in 1993. I’ll admit I was in the sour grapes theory camp. Today, I look at things differently. Some corps just do not have long histories. Some, like Star, played a huge role: 27th competed for 19 seasons, Suncoast was rather short lived, North Star only appeared in finals three times. In most cases finances play a huge role which is not the case with Star. What cannot be denied is Star’s impact on design and innovation. I also credit Star with another contribution. When Star emerged on the scene, corps were disappearing left and right. Star was a breath of fresh air when drum corps desperately needed it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gak27 said:

Parking lot near Revere Beach for rehearsals....

I am pretty sure there were at least three years of dots still visible on the parking lot when I marched.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:22 PM, Tim K said:

The official reason can be seen on the 1994 Legacy DVD where you see the origins of “Blast!” and the corps’ decision to move in a different direction. At the time, many saw it as sour grapes over not winning the title in 1993. I’ll admit I was in the sour grapes theory camp. Today, I look at things differently. Some corps just do not have long histories. Some, like Star, played a huge role: 27th competed for 19 seasons, Suncoast was rather short lived, North Star only appeared in finals three times. In most cases finances play a huge role which is not the case with Star. What cannot be denied is Star’s impact on design and innovation. I also credit Star with another contribution. When Star emerged on the scene, corps were disappearing left and right. Star was a breath of fresh air when drum corps desperately needed it.

This last part is so true.  The audacity of the design had a following.  It had “zig, zig, ZAG” written all over it when the activity was getting very scripted. 

They were the perfect confluence of events, circumstances, and people that will likely never be reproduced.

• Like 1

As of the time of this post, DCI has raised $191,357 from 1313 supporters. 

• Like 2