1975 - What 'Could' Have Happened, But Didn't.

I know this is a stretch but, given how good we know the Muchachos were and the 'possibility' that the Kingsmen could be even close to their 1974 level, it is likely the Regiment would have finished in 12th. It's all conjecture now but, that 75 Regiment show was AWESOME (IMO). Sure, they could have used a little more help percussion wise but, that brass line was great!  

I'm probably in the minority, but I always thought of the Muchachos as overrated in 75. The same BATW hornline as 74,  but they had some weak links. I don't think they were even all that close to Madison and SCV in the days going into DCI Philly and even the Cavaliers were on their tail, which may have prompted the narc-out...I dunno, just speculating. 

Anyway, yes, PR was very enjoyable in 75. We got a very early season look at them in the new unis, capes, etc and they were impressive. Hungarian Dance was a short and sweet number and Tannhauser (sp?) was a delight. I think that may have been Marty Hurley's first year there with the percussion. It took him a few years, but he developed some strong drumlines eventually. 

4 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

When Kingsmen went inactive in 1975, how did it impact other corps? Did some members go to Blue Devils? I know a couple guys ended up with the Blue Stars. 

The Kingsmen folding didn't really affect Drum Corps other than everyone got to move up a spot.  There was a diaspora from Anaheim to Concord, Santa Clara, Freelancers, Bayonne, 2-7, all over.  Yours truly to South Central L.A. (U.S.C).

Edited by greg_orangecounty

14 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I always thought of the Muchachos as overrated in 75. The same BATW hornline as 74,  but they had some weak links. I don't think they were even all that close to Madison and SCV in the days going into DCI Philly and even the Cavaliers were on their tail, which may have prompted the narc-out...I dunno, just speculating. 

Anyway, yes, PR was very enjoyable in 75. We got a very early season look at them in the new unis, capes, etc and they were impressive. Hungarian Dance was a short and sweet number and Tannhauser (sp?) was a delight. I think that may have been Marty Hurley's first year there with the percussion. It took him a few years, but he developed some strong drumlines eventually. 

1976 was the first year Marty Hurley took charge of the Phantom Regiment percussion program.

As for 1975 Muchachos, they beat SCV in their last meeting prior to DCI, and Cavaliers never came within three points.  My guess is they were headed for a dogfight with Blue Devils over 3rd place, with Muchachos ahead in prelims based on the performance they threw down.  But you can look back at August scores and see how wide a variety of possible outcomes we had BITD.

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

1976 was the first year Marty Hurley took charge of the Phantom Regiment percussion program.

As for 1975 Muchachos, they beat SCV in their last meeting prior to DCI, and Cavaliers never came within three points.  My guess is they were headed for a dogfight with Blue Devils over 3rd place, with Muchachos ahead in prelims based on the performance they threw down.  But you can look back at August scores and see how wide a variety of possible outcomes we had BITD.

I think the fight for 3rd, 4th and 5th would have been intense between the Muchachos, BD and 2-7.