1975 - What 'Could' Have Happened, But Didn't.

4 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Don't forget, the saying "May you live in interesting times" is a Chinese curse, not a desired outcome.  

"Interesting" is possibly the safest word to use when describing your feelings/thoughts about something.  Said correctly, it can (safely) cover a broad range of actual feelings/thoughts w/o actually showing those feelings/thoughts...

Here is a clip from part of Phantom's show from '75.  I wish I had the whole show.

From those who may not know, when the corps lifts both legs it is called "marking time."  It was mandatory back then. 

Note the weight of the rifles.  They were very heavy back then.   Don't confront the guard with silly comments - those rifles built very big arm muscles.   They would make quick duty of you for saying so. 

If you have the opportunity, listen to Phantom from ''74 to '77 to hear an incredible progression of brass composition and technique.  The difference between the first and last years in that spread is outstanding. 

Those uniforms made the corps.  It was shakos before that year.  How many remember Phantom in shakos? 

Youse guyz gonna make me want to watch 1975 DCI Legacy Collection dvd (only Legacy set I have)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Continental said:

Here is a clip from part of Phantom's show from '75.  I wish I had the whole show.

From those who may not know, when the corps lifts both legs it is called "marking time."  It was mandatory back then. 

Note the weight of the rifles.  They were very heavy back then.   Don't confront the guard with silly comments - those rifles built very big arm muscles.   They would make quick duty of you for saying so. 

If you have the opportunity, listen to Phantom from ''74 to '77 to hear an incredible progression of brass composition and technique.  The difference between the first and last years in that spread is outstanding. 

Those uniforms made the corps.  It was shakos before that year.  How many remember Phantom in shakos? 

Rifles from that era had forearm muscles like Popeye

• Haha 1

Hmm 1974 I discovered (became infected with) Drum Corps and saw Troopers run thru in street clothes night before their exhibition at our Carlisle home show. Missed the exhibition as getting ready for retreat.

1975 PBS broadcast and our corps had an exhibition show day after Philly DCI at Hershey. My only DCI exposure first two years

4 hours ago, Continental said:

8 contras!!! Huge line for back then 😉

Also love in the older videos how you can hear the "thwack thwack" from the rifle slings... 🙂 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Rifles from that era had forearm muscles like Popeye

In the late '70s I was in a community marching band and we were shown this video of Phantom '75.  Back then technology was on the forefront of cartridge video tape (the machine was the size of a '70s microwave oven - which is about the size of a very large window air conditioner). 

We were awe struck by what we saw on the video. 

As expected, we tried to incorporate what we saw into our very basic field show.  At the 1:20 mark in the video Phantom's guard does head choppers - rifles throw a 3 while flags pass the pole above the guard member's head below the rifle.

We also had very heavy rifles.  While no guard members required hospitalization, there were many instances of crying off the field. 

We thought we were so cool when it worked.  Funny though, we would perform our show and at that instance when we used that feature, you could hear poles hit the rifles following by scrambling on the ground to pick them up.

Edited by Continental
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/11/2020 at 11:32 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

The Kingsmen folding didn't really affect Drum Corps other than everyone got to move up a spot.  There was a diaspora from Anaheim to Concord, Santa Clara, Freelancers, Bayonne, 2-7, all over.  Yours truly to South Central L.A. (U.S.C).

One person who moved on from the Kingsmen who had a big impact on another corps was Bobby Hoffman. His move to the Blue Stars in 1975 was instrumental in the Blue Stars jumping from 12th to 5th place in one year. 

8 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

One person who moved on from the Kingsmen who had a big impact on another corps was Bobby Hoffman. His move to the Blue Stars in 1975 was instrumental in the Blue Stars jumping from 12th to 5th place in one year. 

IIRC he (Hoffman) made an impact in 1976 as well