1975 - What 'Could' Have Happened, But Didn't.

28 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

One person who moved on from the Kingsmen who had a big impact on another corps was Bobby Hoffman. His move to the Blue Stars in 1975 was instrumental in the Blue Stars jumping from 12th to 5th place in one year. 

Very true.  And from there to Bayonne and I forget where else.  He was another Drum Corps genius that passed way too young.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

One person who moved on from the Kingsmen who had a big impact on another corps was Bobby Hoffman. His move to the Blue Stars in 1975 was instrumental in the Blue Stars jumping from 12th to 5th place in one year. 

I guess the question to ask is, why did he leave Blue Stars after such a successful season? The next year, without him, they finished 9th. Anyone have any ideas?

7 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

I guess the question to ask is, why did he leave Blue Stars after such a successful season? The next year, without him, they finished 9th. Anyone have any ideas?

I think the Bayonne opportunity and his NJ roots may have been a draw to go  back East. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I think the Bayonne opportunity and his NJ roots may have been a draw to go  back East. 

Probably, but it would be interesting to hear if there were other reasons!

2 hours ago, Rocketman said:

It sounds like he was given an opportunity to have complete control over an organization and jumped at it. 

http://www.jamesreilly.net/brdgmn/hoffman/corps_history_hoffman.htm 

On 8/11/2020 at 4:59 PM, OldSnareDrummer said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I always thought of the Muchachos as overrated in 75. The same BATW hornline as 74,  but they had some weak links. I don't think they were even all that close to Madison and SCV in the days going into DCI Philly and even the Cavaliers were on their tail, which may have prompted the narc-out...I dunno, just speculating. 

Anyway, yes, PR was very enjoyable in 75. We got a very early season look at them in the new unis, capes, etc and they were impressive. Hungarian Dance was a short and sweet number and Tannhauser (sp?) was a delight. I think that may have been Marty Hurley's first year there with the percussion. It took him a few years, but he developed some strong drumlines eventually. 

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to...............you say that Cavaliers were "on their tail", yet scores show that at the World Open, they were nearly 5 points ahead of the Cavaliers (4.75) and though prelims was a bit closer, I don't think they were in the same league.   You also state that they were not even close to Madison and SCV in the days going into DCI.   However, just 4 days prior to DCI Philly, they defeated the Vanguard and Blue Devils, and finished 2nd to Madison,  1.85 behind.   To this day, there is a rumor that the prelim score in Philly was tabulated before ordered destroyed, and that they won.  It has not been confirmed or disproven,  though "denied" by some.    I am certain that every judge had their "tote", and a number downm and there was enough time lapsed for those numbers to be to the tabulator and added..........however, it seems that they will take those numbers to their grave.

Muchachos'  percussion was very tight (which they won at CYO) and the brass was very powerful with great soloing, and the crowd loved the show.    You can argue that the drill wasn't fabulous, but they performed it very well.....SCV had the design edge over everyone, but it was a brutal show to execute.....    CYO's clearly indicate that Muchachos were in the mix at the top........

1 Madison Scouts 90.550
  2 Muchachos 88.700
  3 Blue Devils 87.450
  4 Santa Clara Vanguard 86.800
  5 27th Lancers 85.300
  6 Kilties 83.400
  7 Garfield Cadets 80.050
  8 Phantom Regiment 79.100
  9 Royal Crusaders 78.250
  10 St. Francis Xavier Sancians 71.250
  11 Boston Crusaders 64.000
  12 Pembroke Imperials 60.600

23 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Since I’m not in a position to “cast the first stone “, looking for a possible issue doesn’t interest me.  

On 8/14/2020 at 11:34 AM, Rocketman said:

Bobby did a large number of corps all over the place in the 70's, starting with Garfield all three years I was there, 70-72. Not sure if there is anything more to it than taking opportunities as they arose.

• Like 1