The 2002 Thread

8 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I agree with your thoughts here. Glassmen were actually running top 5 for a good portion of the season. They took 5th at the DCI Southwestern Regional in San Antonio and were neck and neck with Phantom until late season. Something happened after that. Perhaps the show plateaued...not sure. They started the season HOT. And that percussion section was excellent once again. 

Absolutely loved the Glassmen Flugelhorn soloist (it was the same performer from the 2001 show).

• Like 3

On 8/13/2020 at 11:48 AM, jwillis35 said:

I will comment more on 2002, but for starters I remember being blown away by Magic of Orlando but forgot they competed division II that year, yet still made Finals and took 11th place. I guess for some reason I thought they were Div I (aka World Class). Someone remind me of what the deal was here. Also, was this the only year Seattle Cascades made top 12? 

Loved Magic's show - remember the tenor player going down at the 1:20 mark (30 yard line) and the audience reaction to his recovery (1:40 mark).  

Edited by Continental
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Continental said:

Loved Magic's show - remember the tenor player going down at the 1:20 mark (30 yard line) and the audience reaction to his recovery (1:40 mark).  

I saw Magic Wed-Saturday.....Wednesday was their best run. I am telling you at D2/3 finals they deserved every bit of that 99 on the 2/3 sheets of the day

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I saw Magic Wed-Saturday.....Wednesday was their best run. I am telling you at D2/3 finals they deserved every bit of that 99 on the 2/3 sheets of the day

I completely agree.  That Wednesday run was amazing.  I remember saying this exact thing that night.  And it was needed because that whole night was very strong!

I was not there on Wednesday but I saw some of these groups during the season. Stellar year for Div II/III.

August 7, 2002
World Championships - Division II & III Finals
Madison WI
II
1 Magic of Orlando 99.050
2 Capital Regiment 96.500
3 Mandarins 95.800
4 Vanguard Cadets 94.350
5 Spartans 93.900
6 Esperanza 92.200
7 Patriots 89.250
8 East Coast Jazz 88.000
9 Jersey Surf 87.750
III
1 Revolution 90.500
2 Blue Stars 89.850
3 Taipei Yuehfu 85.350
4 Yamato 83.850

EXH - Jubal

I was pretty indifferent to JD Shaw's first arrangements for Regiment. But he made up for them every year thereafter. I'd always loved the slow movement from Shosty's Piano Concerto No. 2, and it made for a great ballad.

Edited by kdaddy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Continental said:

2002 Phantom was JD Shaw's first year as arranger.

Their drill was not that great, but their guard was quite good.  I think Jennifer Leseth (Jennifo?) was still guard caption head in 2002 but I may be wrong.

That's a guard you don't want to mess with. 

She was there in 2003 also.