Drum Corps in the Post-Covid World - What Role Does DCI Have?

There still needs to be some sort of governing body so that everyone plays by the same rules.  Other than that, I don’t see their value.  Is the activity better off today than it was in 1972?  Drum Corps is still a small niche activity within a niche activity (marching band).  It should have been something close to an Olympic sport by now.  Instead its on life support and flat lining is within view.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

There still needs to be some sort of governing body so that everyone plays by the same rules.  Other than that, I don’t see their value.  Is the activity better off today than it was in 1972?  Drum Corps is still a small niche activity within a niche activity (marching band).  It should have been something close to an Olympic sport by now.  Instead its on life support and flat lining is within view.

But wait, Greg, is that DCI's doing?

DCI has the brand.

The brand is not BD or Crown or BAC.  The brand is DCI, and it was once shown by data that kids "want to march in DCI", not a particular corps. (Vaticinate study)

Almost every participant has their favorite corps, but almost all just want to march in DCI.

What's the brand if DCI goes away?

Who provides the stage on which surviving drum corps can perform and get paid?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, garfield said:

DCI has the brand.

The brand is not BD or Crown or BAC.  The brand is DCI, and it was once shown by data that kids "want to march in DCI", not a particular corps. (Vaticinate study)

Almost every participant has their favorite corps, but almost all just want to march in DCI.

What's the brand if DCI goes away?

Who provides the stage on which surviving drum corps can perform and get paid?

For sure it will not be the VFW for the brand. 

In my opinion DCI is still the brand. 

Edited by E3D

So what happens if after this is over corps look at their resources and have to (repeat have to) go in a direction that DCI disapproves of ? 

1 minute ago, Poppycock said:

Most likely a greater divide between the haves and the have nots. 

Wonder how many will be left of each. And will the haves still be haves....

13 hours ago, hostrauser said:

LOL

exactly my point

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, hostrauser said:

Maybe I'm a cynic, but my view of the vast majority of the movers and shakers in this activity is that they are concerned with what is best for their corps/organization first, and the drum corps community as a whole second (or third or forty-seventh). DCI needs widespread organizational humility to affect all of its member corps for the tour to return to even some semblance of its pre-COVID self.

Maybe that will happen. I've certainly been wrong plenty of times before.

more non corps directors need to be on the board

• Like 1
  • Haha 1