Drum Corps in the Post-Covid World - What Role Does DCI Have?

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The unanswerable question of course is what will be possible to fit the needs and models. 
No guarantee all the G7 corps will survive either.

some of them have the shakiest finances

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, garfield said:

DCI has the brand.

The brand is not BD or Crown or BAC.  The brand is DCI, and it was once shown by data that kids "want to march in DCI", not a particular corps. (Vaticinate study)

Almost every participant has their favorite corps, but almost all just want to march in DCI.

What's the brand if DCI goes away?

Who provides the stage on which surviving drum corps can perform and get paid?

wrong. the brand is BD, SCV, CRown....the names at the top and it's been that way for a long time.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Just because you say so doesn’t make it so! A lot of organizations, independent show sponsors, and numerous regional circuits were eroded instead of supported by DCI.

It wasn’t until just recently that DCI even felt there was a need for member safety guidelines or sexual abuse/harassment reporting.

To believe no one besides DCI is capable to lead the activity in the future is extremely narrow minded IMO. 

DCI has been grossly irresponsible and very self serving. Knowing many of the pageantry leaches and narcissistic Individuals involved in driving the budgets of these organizations and now being out of work, has been somewhat gratifying to me.

Hopefully organizations will become more financially responsible after COVID instead of finding themselves broke at this time of the season and panhandling for another 2 million dollars to end up broke at the end of the next season. 

bravo

• Thanks 1

So as far as what will DCI look like or even be necessary in the future....I have no idea.  When there is an opportunity to regroup for...something... I do not know what the something will be. I do know that drum corps are a collection of very creative minds. And that is what will be needed. No school districts will ever let a bus drive up and have a bunch of kids from another state simply unload and use the school facilities for starters. Just one change of many.

Best guess? slow comback start with a handful of corps figuring something out..and after a few years.. a need for a general administrative arm... ie... a new organization.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Poppycock said:

It wasn’t until just recently that DCI even felt there was a need for member safety guidelines or sexual abuse/harassment reporting.

To believe no one besides DCI is capable to lead the activity in the future is extremely narrow minded IMO. 

The G-7 proposal did not say a single word about member safety, harassment prevention, or even ethics.  

The G-7 proposal was authored by the person whose offenses made the member safety revolution necessary.

We have all been critical of the DCI response on these topics.  But would you rather have entrusted Hopkins, Fiedler, and company on those issues?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

The G-7 proposal did not say a single word about member safety, harassment prevention, or even ethics.  

The G-7 proposal was authored by the person whose offenses made the member safety revolution necessary.

We have all been critical of the DCI response on these topics.  But would you rather have entrusted Hopkins, Fiedler, and company on those issues?

As difficult it is to believe, you obviously have me confused with someone else sweetie. Never mentioned G-7!

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

As difficult it is to believe, you obviously have me confused with someone else sweetie. Never mentioned G-7!

You never mentioned anyone.  Until/unless you do, we can only take suggestions from others.  G-7 was mentioned earlier in this thread.

I see another thread where WGI is just starting to investigate claims presented to them in 2018.  Makes DCI look great in comparison.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

wrong. the brand is BD, SCV, CRown....the names at the top and it's been that way for a long time.

Cite your source?  Garfield said: "it was once shown by data that kids "want to march in DCI", not a particular corps. (Vaticinate study)"

Mike

16 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Remember who dci is though

“Dciisthecorpsdciisthecorps”.... Kind of kidding

Question on who “kids” want to march with. Thought they tried out for certain corps and not “doesn’t matter, one corps is the same as another”.