Drum Corps in the Post-Covid World - What Role Does DCI Have?

13 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Just because you say so doesn’t make it so! A lot of organizations, independent show sponsors, and numerous regional circuits were eroded instead of supported by DCI.

It wasn’t until just recently that DCI even felt there was a need for member safety guidelines or sexual abuse/harassment reporting.

To believe no one besides DCI is capable to lead the activity in the future is extremely narrow minded IMO. 

DCI has been grossly irresponsible and very self serving. Knowing many of the pageantry leaches and narcissistic Individuals involved in driving the budgets of these organizations and now being out of work, has been somewhat gratifying to me.

Hopefully organizations will become more financially responsible after COVID instead of finding themselves broke at this time of the season and panhandling for another 2 million dollars to end up broke at the end of the next season. 

It seems like you are bringing an awful lot of personal baggage to this discussion.  "...grossly irresponsible..." is a big claim that I'd love to see you expound on elsewhere (not here, please).

I certainly did not say that DCI is the only entity capable of "leading" the activity, but I do believe that it is the best entity to do so.

I agree that I hope the orgs do a better job of financial management in their own orgs, but that wasn't the topic of the thread.

Your personal desire to see it fail notwithstanding, I think the best organizing body to help assure that doesn't happen is the one that's done the job remarkably well for over 3 decades.  In many ways, your opinion is a primary example of why I present the topic.

Your view of the organizing body may change after you relieve yourself of your angst and desire to see some people out of work - leaches (sic) and narcissistic individuals, I think you call them - even while I'm confused that you equate them to DCI, the organizing body and tour manager.

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

wrong. the brand is BD, SCV, CRown....the names at the top and it's been that way for a long time.

Which one of those is the brand?  And is it PC, Mandarins, and Crossmen, too?

All of those are the same brand?  Do THEY feel that way?

14 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Just because you say so doesn’t make it so! A lot of organizations, independent show sponsors, and numerous regional circuits were eroded instead of supported by DCI.

It wasn’t until just recently that DCI even felt there was a need for member safety guidelines or sexual abuse/harassment reporting.

To believe no one besides DCI is capable to lead the activity in the future is extremely narrow minded IMO. 

DCI has been grossly irresponsible and very self serving. Knowing many of the pageantry leaches and narcissistic Individuals involved in driving the budgets of these organizations and now being out of work, has been somewhat gratifying to me.

Hopefully organizations will become more financially responsible after COVID instead of finding themselves broke at this time of the season and panhandling for another 2 million dollars to end up broke at the end of the next season. 

Congratulations... with the response to this post you’ve joined the “you must be having personal issues” club.... I’ve been accused of it twice...

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

“Dciisthecorpsdciisthecorps”.... Kind of kidding

Question on who “kids” want to march with. Thought they tried out for certain corps and not “doesn’t matter, one corps is the same as another”.

Just like fans kids have their favorites. Skill level, training,staff exposed too,even show design and of course success levels all play a part. Money can also play into it. Dreams of a certain corps for some are just dreams and will pay to be part of their audition process even knowing they may not have a chance.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

some of them have the shakiest finances

The irony is that this is true because the payout scheme favors the biggest/most successful corps who, to even a small degree, they rely much more on the “gate” than do the lower-placing corps.

This topic is very interesting and I appreciate the various points of view.  I have personally been wondering lately about the future of the activity and will we be able to somehow to cobble together a season in 2021.  I was chatting with a former DCI director/designer just last weekend, and he expressed to me that one of the biggest concerns as he sees it is the transportation/housing issue...even if there is a vaccine available by them...which seems likely.

At the very least, it seems as though drum corps will need to require all members and staff to have proof of vaccinations, much like they require birth certificates now.

I do think, however that we should retire the G7 term in these discussions.  Not only have several of those organizations fallen from the top 7 competitively, but as we all know, the original architect of the scheme is irreparably disgraced.  I think DCI will continue as the governing body, and if nothing else, one can hope that there evolves a "We're all in this together" philosophy. The organization may lack the resources to save several corps who were already on life support, but if it can create perhaps a shorter season with more regional focus while continuing to support Open Class, that would be a great achievement at this point.

At this stage, I am just hoping for the survival of the activity.  And, it is in the best interests of the top corps (however you want to refer to them) that the other World Class corps and the Open class corps have an environment which allows them to survive and eventually thrive.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Just like fans kids have their favorites. Skill level, training,staff exposed too,even show design and of course success levels all play a part. Money can also play into it. Dreams of a certain corps for some are just dreams and will pay to be part of their audition process even knowing they may not have a chance.

Yep, years back I asked why people didn’t try out for “lesser corps” if they didn’t make their dream corps. Most responses were “not worth the money” or “if I couldn’t march xxxx I didn’t want to march anywhere”. Never heard anyone say they wanted to march DCI just individual corps

Question after reading craigas post.

Do corps require members to have full set of vaccinations? See so much anti-vaxxing “stuff” I’m wondering

5 minutes ago, craiga said:

This topic is very interesting and I appreciate the various points of view.  I have personally been wondering lately about the future of the activity and will we be able to somehow to cobble together a season in 2021.  I was chatting with a former DCI director/designer just last weekend, and he expressed to me that one of the biggest concerns as he sees it is the transportation/housing issue...even if there is a vaccine available by them...which seems likely.

At the very least, it seems as though drum corps will need to require all members and staff to have proof of vaccinations, much like they require birth certificates now.

I do think, however that we should retire the G7 term in these discussions.  Not only have several of those organizations fallen from the top 7 competitively, but as we all know, the original architect of the scheme is irreparably disgraced.  I think DCI will continue as the governing body, and if nothing else, one can hope that there evolves a "We're all in this together" philosophy. The organization may lack the resources to save several corps who were already on life support, but if it can create perhaps a shorter season with more regional focus while continuing to support Open Class, that would be a great achievement at this point.

At this stage, I am just hoping for the survival of the activity.  And, it is in the best interests of the top corps (however you want to refer to them) that the other World Class corps and the Open class corps have an environment which allows them to survive and eventually thrive.

Based on what I’m hearing, Stuart Pompel has shepherded in a spirit of “togetherness” not seen in many years.

I’m hopeful that the spirit translates to funding DCI, too.