Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

I added the word "hypothetical" because nothing has been announced by WGI, and I have heard no rumors about 2021. 

However, based on:

1) no 2021 calendar on the WGI website. Normally this is published sometime in June; and

2) a scan of websites for Independent World guards and percussion showed basically nothing. One guard had a video about 2021 auditions that turned out to be a reminder to wear masks and auditions TBD, and one drum line out west looks like they intend to have a line, even if it means they will stay local.  (I did not look at every world class group and did not look on social media, only websites of many of the Finalist-caliber groups). In fact, the majority of websites had no real updates since Covid began.  Many (most) of the Independent World guards would normally have auditions in September and have a complete audition schedule posted well before DCI Championship week.

If there are no Independent World groups, I don't see how WGI can hold a season or Championships.  WGI and DCI are separate entities, but if WGI is unable to hold a season, will DCI also be unable to have a season? 

Many members of DCI guards and lines are active in the indoor activity.  Even if there is a 2021 DCI season without a 2021 WGI season preceding it, the performance level may not be what it has been since the percussionists and guard members have likely been honing their skills in indoor competition for months prior to summer corps season.

At some point soon, if WGI intends to try and have a 2021 season, announcements will have to be made and independent groups will have to have auditions. Likewise, the corps are going to have to publish audition info soon.  No members = no 2021 DCI season.

Edited by wolfgang

first off the real money WGI makes in the hundreds to thousands of scholastic groups going to regionals and/or finals week.

But the key is access to schools for both: schools to rehearse in, schools to have shows in ( remember most events are not held in large independently owned arenas, and in fact most championships week facilities are tied to schools). so if school groups can't rehearse, what's the odds independent groups will be allowed in? Right now most of the fall activity is not hosting live shows and heck most places require whatever marching band they can have rehearse outside...so if it rains, well, no rehearsal.

Until there's more clarity, anything that may be written in pencil will probably not be seen on any website. The longer everything drags on, the less likely it's going to be....and i doubt with mass distribution of a vaccine, anything is going to happen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

first off the real money WGI makes in the hundreds to thousands of scholastic groups going to regionals and/or finals week.

But the key is access to schools for both: schools to rehearse in, schools to have shows in ( remember most events are not held in large independently owned arenas, and in fact most championships week facilities are tied to schools). so if school groups can't rehearse, what's the odds independent groups will be allowed in? Right now most of the fall activity is not hosting live shows and heck most places require whatever marching band they can have rehearse outside...so if it rains, well, no rehearsal.

Until there's more clarity, anything that may be written in pencil will probably not be seen on any website. The longer everything drags on, the less likely it's going to be....and i doubt with mass distribution of a vaccine, anything is going to happen

I read from a recent poll that 1 out of 3 people in the US will not take a covid vaccine. What does one do with that large amount of people?

1 minute ago, DFA1970 said:

I read from a recent poll that 1 out of 3 people in the US will not take a covid vaccine. What does one do with that large amount of people?

Read the same thing. The demo's on that was a shocker for me. 

For WGI and DCI they should follow what the school district's do with shot vaccination records. Mandatory to march. 

• Like 2

I can say I am shocked that a certain person did not reply to the O.P. with "Its too early , right now its all about the bands" makes ya think that type of reply was reserved for certain situations. Who knew. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Auditions are usually late August early September

When does the DCI audition process start?