Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

9 hours ago, wolfgang said:

I added the word "hypothetical" because nothing has been announced by WGI, and I have heard no rumors about 2021. 

However, based on:

1) no 2021 calendar on the WGI website. Normally this is published sometime in June; and

2) a scan of websites for Independent World guards and percussion showed basically nothing. One guard had a video about 2021 auditions that turned out to be a reminder to wear masks and auditions TBD, and one drum line out west looks like they intend to have a line, even if it means they will stay local.  (I did not look at every world class group and did not look on social media, only websites of many of the Finalist-caliber groups). In fact, the majority of websites had no real updates since Covid began.  Many (most) of the Independent World guards would normally have auditions in September and have a complete audition schedule posted well before DCI Championship week.

If there are no Independent World groups, I don't see how WGI can hold a season or Championships.  WGI and DCI are separate entities, but if WGI is unable to hold a season, will DCI also be unable to have a season? 

Many members of DCI guards and lines are active in the indoor activity.  Even if there is a 2021 DCI season without a 2021 WGI season preceding it, the performance level may not be what it has been since the percussionists and guard members have likely been honing their skills in indoor competition for months prior to summer corps season.

At some point soon, if WGI intends to try and have a 2021 season, announcements will have to be made and independent groups will have to have auditions. Likewise, the corps are going to have to publish audition info soon.  No members = no 2021 DCI season.

My guess is there probably only is around a 25% chance of a 2021 WGI season.  I do believe that there is about a 50% chance of a DCI season.  Everything is contingent on a successful vaccine that will need to be mass distributed between the end of the year and the end of February at the latest.  I don't think WGI or their groups have enough time to make that work.  Schools are not going to allow gym use until it is totally safe to do so.  Drum corps has  more time to make a call.  DCI  does not rely on WGI.  In fact, many DCI corps guards do very little until the winter guard season is over.   No vaccine, and there will not be a season for either...........

13 hours ago, wolfgang said:

I added the word "hypothetical" because nothing has been announced by WGI, and I have heard no rumors about 2021. 

However, based on:

1) no 2021 calendar on the WGI website. Normally this is published sometime in June; and

2) a scan of websites for Independent World guards and percussion showed basically nothing. One guard had a video about 2021 auditions that turned out to be a reminder to wear masks and auditions TBD, and one drum line out west looks like they intend to have a line, even if it means they will stay local.  (I did not look at every world class group and did not look on social media, only websites of many of the Finalist-caliber groups). In fact, the majority of websites had no real updates since Covid began.  Many (most) of the Independent World guards would normally have auditions in September and have a complete audition schedule posted well before DCI Championship week.

If there are no Independent World groups, I don't see how WGI can hold a season or Championships.  WGI and DCI are separate entities, but if WGI is unable to hold a season, will DCI also be unable to have a season? 

Many members of DCI guards and lines are active in the indoor activity.  Even if there is a 2021 DCI season without a 2021 WGI season preceding it, the performance level may not be what it has been since the percussionists and guard members have likely been honing their skills in indoor competition for months prior to summer corps season.

At some point soon, if WGI intends to try and have a 2021 season, announcements will have to be made and independent groups will have to have auditions. Likewise, the corps are going to have to publish audition info soon.  No members = no 2021 DCI season.

WGI held a zoom call with the local circuit partners and regional show hosts last weekend. The message from that conference call was to look for a decision on WGI 2021 by sometime in November. Many local circuits are planning a season to start in late Jan. or Feb. There was talk about making regionals a 1 day single performance and also about virtual performances. Most scholastic groups do not start practice until fall sports has ended in late Nov. so the Nov date seems logical for a decision. Independent Groups do tend to start their auditions in Sept. or Oct. They may want to delay that process until a decision by WGI is made.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Asked this before and don’t think I got a definite answer. Does WGI or DCI corps check if a member has been vaccinated? Too many people refuse any type of vaccination.... If answer is no then Could be another reason why request for a practice or show site is shot down.

I think those are checked off in their medical packet for all contracted members.  Most all members have gone through the public school system where most all of the standard vaccinations are required by their respective state law to attend the public school system.  Those laws could easily be updated to include the CV-19 injection and/or included in the requirements for all marching members.  

Of course there's the added advantage of the chip that will be included to track all member's movements.  The chip will also allow the corps to control the member's spending of currency and their diet.  And thoughts; add their thoughts & all cognitive/critical thinking processes.  :whistle:  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i appreciate your trolling.

I noticed that post.  There's a great article for "Passive-Aggressive" trolling on social media platforms:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/passive-aggressive-diaries/201804/how-technology-paves-the-way-passive-aggressive-behavior 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Tell them good luck with getting their health insurance to pay their medical bills if they get sick. The world ain’t gonna stop because some people can’t come to grips with reality.

First off,I've seen polls that show as many as 60% of the people polled won't take a vaccine when it first comes out.

I'm not an antivaxxer,but there is no way I'm taking a a Covid vaccine for at least a year or two.

Especially one they are rushing to get into the market.

The clinical tests they're doing are intended to see if the vaccine is effective against Covid.

50% effective is considered acceptable.

The concern I  have is side effects.

They take a while to show up.

I'm old enough to remember  the worst example of side effects showing up after

the fact.

The Thalidomide tragedies.

How long a vaccine is effective especially with a virus like Covid,  also shows up over time.

Some  reports estimate 6-8 months,tops.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1

I would think there are a few key factors to keep in mind regarding a WGI season. One would be financial. How much would WGI have to pay out preseason for venues, insurance, and other things that are non refundable? For many cancellations of concerts, state and county fairs, and other events, this was the deciding factor. 

A key factor for scholastic groups would be winter sports. There are a number of organizations that have categorized sports depending on risk. I did a quick Google search. Wrestling and competitive cheerleading  have been determined high risk, basketball is moderate on some lists, high on others, hockey is moderate, gymnastics and track low. Dance teams were also on a few lists as moderate and high. My thoughts, color guard would be moderate to high risk, percussion ensembles moderate to low. Keep in mind the last time I went to a mixed guard and percussion show was nine years ago, so people more familiar with current shows can correct my assessments of the risk factors. I have never seen winds shows, but you could at least in theory have shows for color guards and percussion ensembles that incorporate masks. This would be impossible for wind ensembles.

For the vast majority of high schools, athletics rule the extra curricular activities. If a school cancels the winter sports season, there will not be a color guard, percussion or wind ensembles at that school, especially if the decision is made based on the risks involved. If there are not enough scholastic groups, which according to some are the bread and butter of WGI, can there be a 2021 season?

No WGI in 2021 does not necessarily mean there will not be a DCI season. It may be a different season in many ways, and it could mean no in person winter camps that could impact quality, but it is still too early to guess.

28 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

First off,I've seen polls that show as many as 60% of the people polled won't take a vaccine when it first comes out.

I'm not an antivaxxer,but there is no way I'm taking a a Covid vaccine for at least a year or two.

The clinical tests they're doing are intended to see if the vaccine is effective against Covid.

I'm old enough to remember  the worst example of side effects showing up after

the fact.

The Thalidomide tragedies.

How long a vaccine is effective especially with a virus like Covid,  also shows up over time.

Some  reports estimate 6-8 months,tops.

My wife was one of those who was in the small percentage of people who had bad reactions to certain widely prescribed medications. “Red man syndrome” is when  a persons skin starts (literally) turning red from a medication due to allergic reaction. She couldn’t get the most widely prescribed anti-infection meds because of it (saw it happen). Also had problem with some other meds. I would be on the “let’s wait a while and check out the long term affects” bandwagon.

I’ve mentioned anti-vaxxers before. Then I meant people who refuse any and all vaccinations other than religious reasons 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

40 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

True.  On the other hand, the disease definitely has "side effects".

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

True.  On the other hand, the disease definitely has "side effects".

Sometimes med side effects have worse outcomes than what it is trying to fight. 

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My wife was one of those who was in the small percentage of people who had bad reactions to certain widely prescribed medications. “Red man syndrome” is when  a persons skin starts (literally) turning red from a medication due to allergic reaction. She couldn’t get the most widely prescribed anti-infection meds because of it (saw it happen). Also had problem with some other meds. I would be on the “let’s wait a while and check out the long term affects” bandwagon.

I’ve mentioned anti-vaxxers before. Then I meant people who refuse any and all vaccinations other than religious reasons 

When my wife and I were out at dinner last night,the man at the Socially Distanced Table behind us, was red from head to to

toe.

My wife is a Nurse.

The first thing she thought of was "Red Man Syndrome".

But she's never seen a case where it affected the lower torso.

So she asked the man.

He said it was an autoimmune disease.

Don't ask me the name.

He said its very uncomfortable,especially the dry skin.

He has to use something similar to A&D ointment several times a day.

He also has to follow a strict diet,and limit any exposure to the sun.

He said his doctor told him it normally takes about a year to clear up.