Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, we should definitely ally ourselves with the light rather than the darkness.

But even right here on DCP, less than a month ago, cixelsyd posted a poll asking if DCI could have a 2021 season even if WGI was cancelled, and 51% of the respondents, i.e., a majority, said yes. I was one of them. Plenty of optimists out there and in here.

DCI certainly has a fair amount of challenges moving forward...it would be silly to think otherwise. With that said, there's nothing wrong with some optimistic discussions amongst all the doom and gloom. Thanks for your thoughts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yes, dans!

Dwelling on ‘doom and gloom’ can be seen as a strategy toward some deeper goal.  I refuse to be negative when it comes to the continuation of DCI, and drum corps in general. This wonderful endeavor of ours has shown great resilience through several tough periods. I’m counting on that.

We will pick-up the pieces, return in some modified form, then build from there. In my way of thinking, 2020 is already over (it would have been anyway).  

Bring on 2021!

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

We will pick-up the pieces, return in some modified form, then build from there. In my way of thinking, 2020 is already over (it would have been anyway).  

Bring on 2021!

As long as the powers that be in DCI, DCA and the corps themselves realize that it could be a (much?) modified form, especially at the beginning, I have hope for some sort of DC survival.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sister worked Harrisburg and Camp Hill POs leaving 20 years ago. Talk to middle aged guy who does my route (he knows I had a relative at same PO) and... exactly the same complaints from both of them. Which matches what is in the news the last few weeks. 
Too many saying the same thing which lowers the possible BS meter. And sis is not known as a griper.

It's happened to me with 2 priority mailers that normally take 2 days.  It took one 4 days & the other 5 days; so much for paying the priority premium. 🙄😠 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

It's happened to me with 2 priority mailers that normally take 2 days.  It took one 4 days & the other 5 days; so much for paying the priority premium. 🙄😠 

Lmao when I sent my retirement package to Norfolk Naval Base, VA from PA I tried the priority mailer. Local PO clerk had a fit because there was just a Building number and not a street address. “Can’t send it without a number and street, their PO won’t know where to send it”. Tried to explain the local PO was ON the base (base is so big it has 3 zip codes) and they can find buildings but no dice. Called Norfolk POC and he said send it regular mail as “you only save a day anyway”. It about a 300 mile distance.

on topic moral: don’t get hung up on the details and way things “have always been done”. And sometimes doing things the “special” way doesn’t really get you that far ahead

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the elephant in the room is until Covid is under more control, we don't know what DCI and wGI will look like or how they will operate. i'll be honest, WGI seems to be the better run and more fiscally smart organization.

Covid control is a big elephant, but methinks there is a whole herd of elephants in the room.  

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Yes, dans!

Dwelling on ‘doom and gloom’ can be seen as a strategy toward some deeper goal.  I refuse to be negative when it comes to the continuation of DCI, and drum corps in general. This wonderful endeavor of ours has showope for thouan agreen great resilience through several tough periods. I’m counting on that.

Bring on 2021!

I can agree to a point. When you are a multi million dollar company you plan for the issues at hand and hope for the best. You also don'tplan strictly on hope when you deal with the people you serve ( members) The people screaming and just seeing one side of this are the 1st to say members werent treated properly or with honesty. Also for those who think bands as well as WGI will or do not influence DCI as well as DCI effecting them is clearly out of touch, for maybe decades. Now it also doesnt mean they can not decide things independently.

These are times unlike any other times and have to be treated as such

Dont get me wrong hope is good and needed but we also have to be smart. Optimism is great for fans and as I said needed, Corps and staff can as well be optimistic but is exremely important to be realistic. This is vital for the members as well as being safe.

Directors are and have been considering ALL possibilities

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I can agree to a point. When you are a multi million dollar company you plan for the issues at hand and hope for the best. You also don'tplan strictly on hope when you deal with the people you serve ( members) The people screaming and just seeing one side of this are the 1st to say members werent treated properly or with honesty. Also for those who think bands as well as WGI will or do not influence DCI as well as DCI effecting them is clearly out of touch, for maybe decades. Now it also doesnt mean they can not decide things independently.

These are times unlike any other times and have to be treated as such

Dont get me wrong hope is good and needed but we also have to be smart. Optimism is great for fans and as I said needed, Corps and staff can as well be optimistic but is essential to be realistic. This is important for the members as well as being safe.

Hope for the best & plan for the worst.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1