Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

9 hours ago, garfield said:

I agree.  I let this roll off because there’s no way to disprove it.  But, wow, the odds are quite long.

Sorry to you, Jeff, if you called them friends.

I don’t know anyone who’s had it, much less died from it.

Of course, I have only nine friends and one of them is the dog.  So, what do I know?

always listen to the dog.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, garfield said:

Believe me, where you’re going it’s nothing but dark and evil posts.  

NEBrigand is just Gods way of reminding you what you’re in for if you wander out of sardonic humor.

Ha!  I kill me.

only Sith deal in absolutes

I think that Covid will be sufficiently under control by next year so as to prove DCI leadership, et al, will have been correct if they plan for tour with every precaution available up to the moment DCI can’t contract a show venue sizable enough to host. 

Then, if it has to be scrapped, a cascade of cancellations would take less than a day to cancel.

I would think a contract with a trap door escape hatch for everyone is mandatory..

my hunch is they are in place. just not announced. hell we don't get the seasons schedule til october at the earliest for big shows now

And to clarify, I think every corps, and the activity at the top, should proclaim that, as an activity, member fees will be returned to the extent they exceed the amount necessary for the corps, and activity, to plan and implement up to that point.

If the tour gets cancelled before it starts, there's a significant amount that can be returned to the members so long as the drum corps' contracts have a way to cancel their contracts before the tour starts.  If 2021 football, soccer, symphonies, (and that litany of "gatherings" someone else brought up) are banned across the US in November, then drum corps will have gotten a couple of camp fees, or maybe gotten tour fees very early.  All of this can be calculated on a per-day basis, with every decision beginning and ending with what is in the best interest of the members and their financial payors, if not themselves.

and most places you can get almost everything back, in 1 up to $1600

9 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yeah these retired brain cells are kicking in and recalling the “if we take precautions” and “if we don’t take precautions” wide range of numbers. Should have paid more attention to the higher numbers as thought folks would be more careful.

Speaking of precautions, this fact I just learned is so weird I have to share it: did you know it's been legal since 1955 to send live venomous scorpions through the mail? As long as they're only sent via ground, and only in a special kind of container-within-a-container packaging, and with both the inner and outer container clearly marked "live scorpions," and only if they're being mailed as part of a medical research or antivenin production project. I had no idea!

Came across that while reading up on the current mail debacle, which some people in this thread were referencing in the past couple days. The delivery backlog has appparently resulted in a number of dead animals piling up in mail distribution centers; they were live animals when they were dropped off at the post office and they were supposed to arrive live at their destination. Mostly chicks and crickets, it seems. Anyway, carry on.

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Speaking of precautions, this fact I just learned is so weird I have to share it: did you know it's been legal since 1955 to send live venomous scorpions through the mail? As long as they're only sent via ground, and only in a special kind of container-within-a-container packaging, and with both the inner and outer container clearly marked "live scorpions," and only if they're being mailed as part of a medical research or antivenin production project. I had no idea!

Came across that while reading up on the current mail debacle, which some people in this thread were referencing in the past couple days. The delivery backlog has appparently resulted in a number of dead animals piling up in mail distribution centers; they were live animals when they were dropped off at the post office and they were supposed to arrive live at their destination. Mostly chicks and crickets, it seems. Anyway, carry on.

Will have to ask my sister what’s the strangest thing she ever delivered as a letter carrier. But she never did rural, just urban and suburban. 

Reminded me of the live Maine (that state again) lobsters saw being shipped when up there years ago. Packed in a small box full of ice so they basically go into hibernation. Was on a puddle jumper plane and saw some being loaded underneath. All we could think of was “hope they don’t miss a box when they unload”. 🤮

Edited by JimF-LowBari

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sorry but think it’s a stretch to say the higher numbers were to induce fear. I saw them as statistics with variable  parameters and that’s the numbers that got puked out. And heaven help anyone trying to make predictions and a major part of your data is driven by human nature (like how well people will listen and take suggested precautions)

But that is exactly the problem.  The infamous proclamation of 2,200,000 impending American deaths was NOT driven by human nature.  Instead, it was based on "if we do nothing".  Who does nothing in a pandemic while 2,200,000 of their compatriots die?

The optimist in me likes to think that publication of that number was well-intentioned, designed to scare us into taking precautions seriously.  But that is still "inducing fear".

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Will have to ask my sister what’s the strangest thing she ever delivered as a letter carrier. But she never did rural, just urban and suburban. 

Reminded me of the live Maine (that state again) lobsters saw being shipped when up there years ago. Packed in a small box full of ice so they basically go into hibernation. Was on a puddle jumper plane and saw some being loaded underneath. All we could think of was “hope they don’t miss a box when they unload”. 🤮

I bet no Sea Monkeys ever died in the mail. 

They always took a long time to deliver, but once you added water it meant hours and hours of tremendous fun disappointment for the whole family. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

But that is exactly the problem.  The infamous proclamation of 2,200,000 impending American deaths was NOT driven by human nature.  Instead, it was based on "if we do nothing".  Who does nothing in a pandemic while 2,200,000 of their compatriots die?

The optimist in me likes to think that publication of that number was well-intentioned, designed to scare us into taking precautions seriously.  But that is still "inducing fear".

So saying how bad it would be if nothing was done is a bad thing? I dealt with numbers and different scenarios with my job. Hearing best and worst case possibilities is not such a wrong thing. IMO it gives a better understanding where we are currently.

Giving best and worst is not saying what they think will happen, just the range. No idea why this should not be released 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

16 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Are you saying you find it "acceptable," as a lot of those poll respondents do, that 175,000 Americans have died?

I do not understand the question.  Reportedly, 175,000 have already died.  Then you ask if that is "acceptable", as if we can choose a lower number.  So you do not believe the reported number of deaths anymore?

And if I'll stipulate that officials saying on Jan. 25 (Chinese New Year) that it was OK to attend a large event were making a mistake, would you agree that any official encouraging people to attend other large events after that date was also making a mistake?

You have the wrong date.  Officials were inviting people to San Francisco Chinatown on February 24th.

• Thanks 2