Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Just quoting this for context.  Not going to dispute, or vouch for, the accuracy of any of those three sentences at the moment.

Your bait-and-switch fails to mask the real issue there.

Nursing homes are always a potential vulnerability because of how the virus singles out the same things that put people in nursing homes (age and pre-existing medical conditions).  But Texas and other states learned from the mistakes made in New York, Pennsylvania, etc. earlier.  Remember when a tremendous surplus of treatment space was commandeered in New York City from both local and federal resources, and state/local leadership left most of it empty while forcing contagious C-19 convalescents back into nursing homes?

What I find unfathomable is the urge to compare an estimate with 850% margin for error against the running real-time tabulation.

In Texas , Florida, and Arizona - I don't think they sent anyone positive into a nursing home. 

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So just wondering, what should have been the target for preparing for this? Best case? Half way in between? Something else? I was always told prepare for the worse and hope for the best. But seems things not being as bad as feared possible is a bad thing... whiskey tango foxtrot 

Maybe as I said in my previous post, why not show worst case and best case? 

By the way when I see Whiskey Tango I automatically think White Trash because that is what we used in the Marines. But the kids changed it to mean something even worse. 

6 minutes ago, E3D said:

Maybe as I said in my previous post, why not show worst case and best case? 

By the way when I see Whiskey Tango I automatically think White Trash because that is what we used in the Marines. But the kids changed it to mean something even worse. 

I’ve seen best and worse figures given but not what I was asking. You mentioned goal for number of ventilators was too high. I’m asking how do you think they should have picked a needed number of ventilators and other equipment. If you think they did it wrong let’s hear your thoughts.

Have heard whiskey tango foxtrot from some of the young Naval officers  I sat near. Usually heard it after the phone hit the cradle. Thud... whiskey... tango.... foxtrot.... ughhh

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

I’ve seen best and worse figures given but not what I was asking. You mentioned goal for number of ventilators was too high. I’m asking how do you think they should have picked a needed number of ventilators and other equipment. If you think they did it wrong let’s hear your thoughts.

They got it wrong that is obvious now on Monday. 

18 minutes ago, E3D said:

They got it wrong that is obvious now on Monday. 

That’s why they are called predictions. Or do you expect exact numbers on something brand new?

And the answer to my question to what number should have been used is????  If people are willing to accuse others of fear mongering with the numbers used, then the accusers should stick their necks out and say What numbers should be been used.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So just wondering, what should have been the target for preparing for this? Best case? Half way in between? Something else? I was always told prepare for the worse and hope for the best. But seems things not being as bad as feared possible is a bad thing... whiskey tango foxtrot 

And sometimes you have to scare people to wake them the eff up..... and even then...

...because people are too stupid and must be led by the nose in order to do the right thing?  I don't believe you're seeing it correctly - it was not said anywhere that things not being as bad as expected is a bad thing.  Nobody said that I've read.  This is that trap again.  Up is not down, down is not up and nobody you know or I know considers death in any number acceptable (except war planners).  What if Covid is gone by January and drum corps is caught flat-footed, can't react in time, and misses a great opportunity to gain relevance and, possibly, gravitas and exposure?  Listening to the negative extremes even today would prevent many from coming out of their basements, when clearly things are improving now daily.

In both extremes, damage occurs.  We, of course, can't compare death with drum corps.  Planning for the best, at some times against the common movement's direction, can allow DCI to take advantage of the best of circumstances even while the masses are pointing to the falling skies.

Both are important even if death is more important.

I don't know 75/25, somewhere in there?  (I'm kidding!)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

...because people are too stupid and must be led by the nose in order to do the right thing?  I don't believe you're seeing it correctly - it was not said anywhere that things not being as bad as expected is a bad thing.  Nobody said that I've read.  This is that trap again.  Up is not down, down is not up and nobody you know or I know considers death in any number acceptable (except war planners).  What if Covid is gone by January and drum corps is caught flat-footed, can't react in time, and misses a great opportunity to gain relevance and, possibly, gravitas and exposure?  Listening to the negative extremes even today would prevent many from coming out of their basements, when clearly things are improving now daily.

In both extremes, damage occurs.  We, of course, can't compare death with drum corps.  Planning for the best, at some times against the common movement's direction, can allow DCI to take advantage of the best of circumstances even while the masses are pointing to the falling skies.

Both are important even if death is more important.

I don't know 75/25, somewhere in there?  (I'm kidding!)

What I’m seeing is any reporting of the worst case scenario, be it possible or not, is fear mongering and never should have been done. So I read slam slam slam but what I DON’T read is opinions on what should have been done. Monday morning quarterbacking in the afternoon..... 

As for the negative extreme as you put it: I’ve seen ranges given from worst to best. Are you saying the worst part of the range should not have been given so people will come out of their basements

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Listening to the negative extremes even today would prevent many from coming out of their basements, when clearly things are improving now daily.

For some,  inaccurate concerns, whether negative or positive, helps their perceived narrative.

• Like 1

So the experts got it wrong with their estimates/predictions on this new virus.

What time do the executions start? Have been death threats against some of these experts for months because the numbers haven’t matched.

If i were king lol, any slam against what another person has done will be followed immediately what the slammer thinks should have be done....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Confused 2

The response from the start was to let the state governors and their own health officials determine the amount of ventilators, hospital beds, and personal protective equipment needed to deal with their own population. They were deemed closest to the problem. Some governors knew what to do responsibly, others did not.

As requests came in, the Federal government provided help in obtaining and transporting what each needed.  The State of New York went overboard in their requests, but there was no way to monitor the judgment of each and every governor. As such, production of response items was ramped-up by Executive Order. It was a costly and lengthy process. But, there was no other choice given the numbers coming from each state. 

Now, we find out the assessment of cases and deaths per state were not only based on a faulty baseline report, but also due to 50 different methods of determining how to medically code each related event.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to know with certainty how many cases and deaths were experienced nationwide. The formulas used to determine state reported numbers varied greatly. 

Yes, this is all quite controversial, but that’s my story . . . . and I’m sticking to it !

😗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4