Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

In the end, though, the lawyers will win.

It's always the darn lawyers.  Lawyers and HR people set the rules in the US, working or otherwise.

If DCI plans for an optimistic opening and some school's lawyers say no...

If the drum corps say "Let's go!" but DCI's lawyers say "Well..."

If a band boosters wants desperately to build a show out of the 2020 ashes, but the lawyers say "Maybe next year..."

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, E3D said:

DCI could be out front right now indicating guidance for possible housing solutions. I can think of a few. WGI can do this no problem from what I can see with sports.

THIS ^^^

"...out in front..." means In the News.

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yes, of course.  This is, by definition, acting from a position of positive conviction with preparation for the worst, not the other way around

Because of the long lead time to create a DCI summer, that effort has to be first because pulling the plug takes only hours by comparison.

Look out world I think we’re on the same page... 😈

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

It's always the darn lawyers.  Lawyers and HR people set the rules in the US, working or otherwise.

If a band boosters wants desperately to build a show out of the 2020 ashes, but the lawyers say "Maybe next year..."

What about school board elections? Have seen some board members act like they have both eyes on the coming primary and general election before they commit on things. 

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How are fall sports doing out your way? Central PA has a real mix of plan for a delayed opening (week or so) to fall sports in the spring. Some in the same conference which is really making a muddle.

###### I’m missing Friday HS football on the cable.... funny when it’s the stadium so close I can see the lights from the house

Some are going on and the 5A and 6A divisions are delayed 3 weeks. But I do know that they are all at in person practices. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, E3D said:

It was all about instilling fear. Why else would anyone think they would need 40 thousand ventilators. When in reality much less. 

Why would they run with those numbers if they knew they were just worst case? Why not show best case numbers? Fear. 

fear to me is the reality of over 170,000 deaths in 7 months. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

The response from the start was to let the state governors and their own health officials determine the amount of ventilators, hospital beds, and personal protective equipment needed to deal with their own population. They were deemed closest to the problem. Some governors knew what to do responsibly, others did not.

As requests came in, the Federal government provided help in obtaining and transporting what each needed.  The State of New York went overboard in their requests, but there was no way to monitor the judgment of each and every governor. As such, production of response items was ramped-up by Executive Order. It was a costly and lengthy process. But, there was no other choice given the numbers coming from each state. 

Now, we find out the assessment of cases and deaths per state were not only based on a faulty baseline report, but also due to 50 different methods of determining how to medically code each related event.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to know with certainty how many cases and deaths were experienced nationwide. The formulas used to determine state reported numbers varied greatly. 

Yes, this is all quite controversial, but that’s my story . . . . and I’m sticking to it !

😗

as i have said all along,a coordinated national and bipartisan approach from the beginning could have made things a lot better. But...well....3 funerals i'll have to attend when we can.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, garfield said:

actually the schools win. the ones that host camps, rehearsal days and shows. And what they decide for their facilities decides what happens to the activity at large. 

12 hours ago, garfield said:

I should have gone into law instead of education.  :wink: 

16 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Now, we find out the assessment of cases and deaths per state were not only based on a faulty baseline report, but also due to 50 different methods of determining how to medically code each related event.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to know with certainty how many cases and deaths were experienced nationwide. The formulas used to determine state reported numbers varied greatly. 

Yes, this is all quite controversial, but that’s my story . . . . and I’m sticking to it !

😗

Our Governor here in NJ has been using the "Rate of Transmission" (Rt) as his baseline for how the state is doing with Covid.

An Rt of 1 or less is the goal.

Thing is ,no one knew where the Rt came from.

On August 3,NJ.com put out an article on how NJ determines the Rt.

It talks about things  a "Peer Review Estimation Method" that uses "estimates" and "assumptions".

From reading the article,it seems the results are more of a "guess" then an actual,calculated transmission rate.

Edited by rpbobcat