Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

This is fall 2021? I'm certainly expecting normalcy by then, though as you say...

No, it's Winter 2021.  Winter Circuit competition starts in January & runs through the end of March.  Some of these groups compete in WGI as well.

Winter Guard & Percussion shows are being designed & most groups will hold auditions over the next couple of months.  Posted in reference to the "No WGI..." 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

22 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

No, it's Winter 2021.  Winter Circuit competition starts in January & runs through the end of March.  Some of these groups compete in WGI as well.

Winter Guard & Percussion shows are being designed & most groups will hold auditions over the next couple of months.  Posted in reference to the "No WGI..." 

Well I hope it works out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

[1] I was responding to your post about nursing home deaths with a link to a U.S. government page that breaks those down per capita by state. Now you indicate that you want different numbers. Well, by all means feel free to provide them.

[2] No, that's not a Covid-19 death. There have probably been some incorrectly recorded deaths here and there, but overwhelmingly you'll find that deaths in car accidents are not counted as Covid-19 deaths.

[3] I'm certainly not disappointed that the number of deaths is "only" 183,000. I'm certainly not disappointed that we're "only" averaging the number of deaths from 9/11 every three days.

You did not really respond to the point made about sending covid positives into nursing homes. You came back with a deflection of deaths per 1000 residents not really putting it into the context of what exactly happened in some states. Good work though. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, E3D said:

You did not really respond to the point made about sending covid positives into nursing homes. You came back with a deflection of deaths per 1000 residents not really putting it into the context of what exactly happened in some states. Good work though. 

You do know what "per capita" means, right?

5 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

New info from our local winter circuit (covering groups in 4 Southern states) as to the 2021 season:  
(Season runs January - March with some groups competing in WGI as well.)

In these uncertain and changing times we are working to move forward with a season that will serve our students, Instructors and Designers. There's a lot of details to work out but I want to share with you where we are today. 

• We have a list of host schools ready to move forward.
  • We will develop and customize each events to follow State and Local guidelines. 
  • Our goal is to offer our students the opportunity to perform and experience the Winter season within the Pageantry Arts.
  • Membership Registration, Payment deadlines and Contest Registration timelines are also being reviewed.
  • Due to out of state travel restrictions by some school districts, there will be State Championships held in 3 locations. (Combining 2 states unaffected by restriction)

This is just the beginning of what will be a different but successful 2021 season. I'll have more to share at the fall meeting and beyond.

The fall meeting is being held via zoom in a couple of weeks.  This may actually be a "smidgen" of good news? :drool:  

Of course, this could all change tomorrow...

Added Info:  

Winter 2021; Winter Circuit competition starts in January & runs through the end of March.  Some of these groups compete in WGI as well.  
Winter Guard & Percussion Percussion shows are being designed & most groups will hold auditions over the next couple of months.  
Posted in reference to the "No WGI..." 

we had our local circuits schedule planned in June. No idea if it'll happen. i know one school already told me at this stage they can't get in their gym thru years end. given that we cover PA, MD, DE, NJ and WV, who only knows what we'll be able to offer.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I don't know whether they did or didn't. I do know that these are the ten states (districts, territories, etc.) with the highest per capita deaths due to Covid-19 in nursing homes:

1. Massachusetts

2. New Jersey

3. Connecticut

4. Rhode Island

5. District of Columbia

6. Mississippi

7. Pennsylvania

8. Maryland

9. Arizona

10. Delaware

source: https://data.cms.gov/Special-Programs-Initiatives-COVID-19-Nursing-Home/Resident-Average-Deaths-per-1-000-Residents/ps29-t4uv

Texas and Florida are down in the middle of the pack.

Quoted for context.  It is the final portion of your post that deserves to be addressed:

For unknown reasons, four states are under investigation by the Dept. of Justice regarding how nursing homes in their states handled Covid-19: Michigan, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, though two of them don't even make the top ten. I wonder what those states did wrong that Arizona and Mississippi, for example, supposedly did right.

- No, these states are not "under investigation".  The DOJ is considering an investigation, though, and has asked for information from the governors of these states.

- It is not "for unknown reasons", but rather because of government orders requiring nursing homes to admit C-19 patients without adequately protecting their vulnerable populations.

- This is a drum corps site.  Here, we deal in top 12s, not top 10s.  At the time of your post, New York and Michigan were 11th and 12th on your cherry-picked list.  Interesting that you chose to cut off at 10.

- I m not aware of Arizona, Mississippi, or anyone other than the four states DOJ reached out to, who via government orders have required nursing homes to admit C-19 patients without adequately protecting their vulnerable populations.  The fairest, most benevolent motive I can attribute to what was done in NY/PA/NJ/MI would be a fear of running out of hospital beds.  I say "fear" because no one actually did run out of beds.  New York, in particular, left the Javits Center and a federally-supplied hospital ship virtually empty, when those spaces could have been used to keep infectious people away from vulnerable nursing homes.

People wonder why I keep saying "do not panic" - because panic leads to bad decisions.  Not what you want when lives are at stake.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

- No, these states are not "under investigation".  The DOJ is considering an investigation, though, and has asked for information from the governors of these states.

- It is not "for unknown reasons", but rather because of government orders requiring nursing homes to admit C-19 patients without adequately protecting their vulnerable populations.

The issue of deaths in Nursing Homes and other Long Term Care Facilities has been a hot topic out here in N.J.

I haven't checked the breakdown lately,but over 40% of the state's Covid deaths were in these places.

What has been getting a lot of attention in the press is Governor's Murphy's refusal to undertake an in depth

investigation into how this happened,including failures on the part of him and/or his staff.

This includes relying on obscure laws,including anti-terrorism,to refuse to release what are supposed to be public records.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

we had our local circuits schedule planned in June. No idea if it'll happen. i know one school already told me at this stage they can't get in their gym thru years end. given that we cover PA, MD, DE, NJ and WV, who only knows what we'll be able to offer.

WGI will go virtual this season, mark my words

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

- This is a drum corps site.  Here, we deal in top 12s, not top 10s.  At the time of your post, New York and Michigan were 11th and 12th on your cherry-picked list.  Interesting that you chose to cut off at 10.

Lol. Top 10 list? Unheard of!

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

- This is a drum corps site.  Here, we deal in top 12s, not top 10s.

OK, this is a nice touch.

• Haha 2