A failed major disqualification attempt....1980...40 years ago

17 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Never heard this one.  Hope it's not a deathbed confession.

Look OUT! 

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Is it?

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Is it?

It is certainly not insignificant.   They gave us until 3 PM to prove that the member was 21 and not overage.  At that moment, we had nothing, due to a misplaced birth certificate file (which they did track down much later), and the member had nothing that proved his age on him.  It would have been interesting to see what would have gone down had we not proven his age by 3 PM.  Those who filed the claim certainly had no proof....but they went forward anyway.  If the 1980 Cadets had been disqualified, it is safe to say that the corps most likely would not have recovered; I do think the corps would have survived not making finals, but a dq?  No.   Only 4 corps in 48 years have ever been disqualified in DCI (there also was an attempt on SCV, but they had a few foreign members who presented phony documents, so the corps was not penalized, as they showed DCI the documents.   I know some folks who were part of those 4 corps, and it was gut wrenching for all.  Three of the four are gone.....only the Crossmen remain.

• Like 3

My age was never questioned in 1980.  Then again, I was only 15 when I marched finals that year.

That feels like decades ago.:lol:

9 hours ago, Bob984 said:

It is certainly not insignificant.   They gave us until 3 PM to prove that the member was 21 and not overage.  At that moment, we had nothing, due to a misplaced birth certificate file (which they did track down much later), and the member had nothing that proved his age on him.  It would have been interesting to see what would have gone down had we not proven his age by 3 PM.  Those who filed the claim certainly had no proof....but they went forward anyway.  If the 1980 Cadets had been disqualified, it is safe to say that the corps most likely would not have recovered; I do think the corps would have survived not making finals, but a dq?  No.   Only 4 corps in 48 years have ever been disqualified in DCI (there also was an attempt on SCV, but they had a few foreign members who presented phony documents, so the corps was not penalized, as they showed DCI the documents.   I know some folks who were part of those 4 corps, and it was gut wrenching for all.  Three of the four are gone.....only the Crossmen remain.

Ok who am I missing...

Crossmen, Bridgemen, Muchachos and ?????

1 minute ago, CHRISP said:

Les Eclipses, 1984

Thanks I’m looking at an old thread on the subject and see Purple Lancers mentioned also but no details. Must have happened right after Drum Corps News went out of business as I don’t remember reading about it in DCN.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

10 minutes ago, CHRISP said:

Les Eclipses, 1984

Les Eclipses were disqualified? DCX lists Les Eclipses as placing 15th at semi’s in 1984.

Edited by Tim K

35 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

My age was never questioned in 1980.  Then again, I was only 15 when I marched finals that year.

That feels like decades ago.:lol:

Heck, last January (when we were politely discussing whether adding woodwinds was a good idea) feels like decades ago