Great place for a contest

(Someday, perhaps the activity will again be in a place where discussions such as this topic can have real meaning again. Until then, we can hope and dream. Now onto the main topic)

Story on ESPN about newly completed Las Vegas Raiders Stadium. Raiders play on grass, but the other tenant, UNLV, plays on field turf, which DCI would use.

Looks like a great venue. The topic has been brought up before with pros and cons, but for the first time we can see a brief video of the view from the upper deck. 

Not sure how far out the Super Bowl is scheduled, but I'd bet they will get one of the next two yet to be scheduled, along with the new Rams stadium.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29712942/mark-davis-welcomes-raiders-newly-finished-allegiant-stadium

Edited by wolfgang

1 hour ago, wolfgang said:

(Someday, perhaps the activity will again be in a place where discussions such as this topic can have real meaning again. Until then, we can hope and dream. Now onto the main topic)

Story on ESPN about newly completed Las Vegas Raiders Stadium. Raiders play on grass, but the other tenant, UNLV, plays on field turf, which DCI would use.

Looks like a great venue. The topic has been brought up before with pros and cons, but for the first time we can see a brief video of the view from the upper deck. 

Not sure how far out the Super Bowl is scheduled, but I'd bet they will get one of the next two yet to be scheduled, along with the new Rams stadium.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29712942/mark-davis-welcomes-raiders-newly-finished-allegiant-stadium

But it's a dry heat for rehearsals & warm-up... :spitting:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I suppose I am one of the few die-hards that still believe Drum Corps belongs outside,  not in a room.

I guess I use to feel that way, but now that I'm older & attending more shows across the country,  I like most of the indoor venues* due to unpredictable weather.  If I'm flying or driving, I'd rather not put out all of that money to risk a chance of losing it all for inclement weather.  I had trips planned to Detroit, St. Louis, & Indy by air with another driving trip to TN, ATL, & NC.  There were only 3-4 outdoor shows planned.  Three of those same shows on the 2018 experienced delays but were able to continue.  

There's no way I would spend the ticket, hotel, food & flight monies on those trips to attend those shows in an outdoor venue.  I guess I'd stay at home & watch Rocket Mortgage commercials; and drink.  Plus, the show designers have really capitalized on incorporating the indoor venues for some incredible "general effect" moments.  I'm definitely getting older, but my experiences include teaching/arranging for a drum corps in my younger years & band directing for some 30 years.  I am older & sometimes miss the sonority of the G bugles, but I also love the warm timbre of the Bb horns & how well they perform "in tune" centering the overall pitch.  Today's DCI product is just incredible & I hope we get to experience it in 2021.

*With that said, the worst indoor stadium for sound is in ATL; Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

:soapbox:  :peek:              

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Northern Thunder said:

Best story about drum corps in Vegas....when Las Vegas hosted the 1962 American Legion Nationals, they actually wanted to set off an atomic explosion to signal the start of the contest.

DCI did hold an outdoor show in Vegas in the summer of 1981.

You made me look, Cabs and Garfield Cadets won. And following year was at Miami which I believe was originally scheduled for New Orleans but moved. IIRC moved because of Nah ‘Lin’s segregation policies. (Just like AFL all star game was moved in 1965. That was more for outright racism)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

10 minutes ago, Northern Thunder said:

You're right about that, Jim.

Thank ya... years back happened to see a show about the AFL game on one of the Saturday afternoon sports shows. Pretty eye opening for me. Also supposed reason why NO didn’t get an NFL team for a few more years.

Then years later reading NanciDs DC blog of 1960s articles I see AL going to NO. Then AL moved to Miami and no explanation given. Googled around and found the details in (of all things) a sale listing for a book on New Orleans history. Listing had a few pages shown and there was my answer.

OK part of the interest was being in 1978 AL Nationals at NO. 😃

Edited by JimF-LowBari