Great place for a contest

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:I suppose I am one of the few die-hards that still believe Drum Corps belongs outside,  not in a room.

I agree. I love being outside at most shows, including Allentown. If Allentown gets rained out, I may be disappointed but most years Allentown is the beginning of my vacation, so I take it in stride. Now if someone goes back to the Allentown thread of 2018 and finds me complaining about the Friday night deluge that year, it took a while to dry out so I probably wrote it while soggy.

For Indy, I like the guarantee of indoors. Cost for Allentown: gas money, a reasonably good and low priced hotel, and tickets. Indy involves travel time, plane tickets, a more expensive hotel and longer stay, and tickets to the events. That’s a bigger chunk of change. I also like the comfortable seats and air conditioning. Unlike Allentown, it is also the last show of the season. Indoors has other advantages too. In 2011, there was an unexpected thunderstorm with hurricane force winds that toppled a stage at the Indiana State Fair that resulted in fatalities and injuries. The fairgrounds are about five miles from the stadium. I did not go to Indy that year but heard from someone who stepped outside at the time that he thought a tornado was approaching. Can you imagine the same winds at an outdoor venue while finals is taking place? 

• Like 1

Not happy with indoors but think about Rochester Labor Day. People putting on sun screen during the afternoon and getting heavy jackets for evening. And that one year when finals started and temperature was just right. Then the sun started sinking and that shadow headed our way. Soon as it got to us “I’ll be back after next Corps. I’m getting the jackets”. Following year went to the car to warm up during the show....

And 1975 DCA there... so cold at night we were sitting on the asphalt of the parking lot for warmth. Then the monsoon at the end of Finals...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

10 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Nice stadium, yes, but Vegas in mid-August?

Hard pass.

Who mentioned August?  The venue would be a good Finals stadium, but DCI has a multi-year agreement with Indy..... assuming DCI survives.

I was thinking more of a large earlier season show with the west coast corps, Blue Knights, and perhaps an east coast corps or two. When this city was talked about in a thread a couple years back, someone who lives in Vegas mentioned the summer was a down time for conventions there, and the possibility of using unused convention halls as rehearsal space.

Nobody wants kids rehearsing in 110 degree weather, but given that Las Vegas is a growing major metropolitan area, it would seem DCI (if DCI exists going forward) would want to have shows in large population centers. Even with a non-national, Regional tour model, a California or Arizona to Vegas drive isn't that big of an ask.

I do think that, if adequate rehearsal space could be acquired indoors in some of those huge vacant convention halls, the city would be a nice Finals venue. More than adequate hotel space, and those complaining about not much to do in Indy would have ample options. It's not going to happen as long as Finals are in Indy.... if there is such a thing as Finals in years to come.

Edited by wolfgang

6 hours ago, Northern Thunder said:

And, unfortunately, a black member of the Argonne Rebels was attacked by some white men in an Alabama restaurant while the corps was traveling to Miami for those American Legion Nationals.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/17865425/the-hays-daily-news/

I suspect the ‘...spokesman for the group, an attorney...’ was Glen Opie

9 hours ago, wolfgang said:

Who mentioned August?  The venue would be a good Finals stadium, but DCI has a multi-year agreement with Indy..... assuming DCI survives.

I was thinking more of a large earlier season show with the west coast corps, Blue Knights, and perhaps an east coast corps or two. When this city was talked about in a thread a couple years back, someone who lives in Vegas mentioned the summer was a down time for conventions there, and the possibility of using unused convention halls as rehearsal space.

Nobody wants kids rehearsing in 110 degree weather, but given that Las Vegas is a growing major metropolitan area, it would seem DCI (if DCI exists going forward) would want to have shows in large population centers. Even with a non-national, Regional tour model, a California or Arizona to Vegas drive isn't that big of an ask.

I do think that, if adequate rehearsal space could be acquired indoors in some of those huge vacant convention halls, the city would be a nice Finals venue. More than adequate hotel space, and those complaining about not much to do in Indy would have ample options. It's not going to happen as long as Finals are in Indy.... if there is such a thing as Finals in years to come.

Only if indoor rehearsal facilities were available to all groups. The June thru August temps run 100+.  

10 hours ago, wolfgang said:

There was a DCI show in Vegas on July 6, 2009. The show was not well attended and DCI never returned. Unlike most of the country, folks who live in Vegas go into hibernation starting in June until September.  When marching bands practice, they do so before the sun goes up or in the evening. 
Unless DCI could generate a decent crowd, it’s unlikely a show in the NFL stadium would make economic sense. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2020 at 8:07 PM, wolfgang said:

There's a reason the convention halls are vacant and hotel rates are cheap in the summer.  It's too HOT!  Even the Vegas Bowl (college football) struggles to get 30K and that's in December.  Could an early season show draw that many people and pay for the rental of shiny-new Allegiant Stadium?  Would it cover the cost to partition the Vegas Convention Center so the kids don't die of heatstroke during practice?

Sincerely,

Debbie Downer

On 8/22/2020 at 1:22 PM, keystone3ply said:

I guess I use to feel that way, but now that I'm older & attending more shows across the country,  I like most of the indoor venues* due to unpredictable weather.  If I'm flying or driving, I'd rather not put out all of that money to risk a chance of losing it all for inclement weather.  I had trips planned to Detroit, St. Louis, & Indy by air with another driving trip to TN, ATL, & NC.  There were only 3-4 outdoor shows planned.  Three of those same shows on the 2018 experienced delays but were able to continue.  

There's no way I would spend the ticket, hotel, food & flight monies on those trips to attend those shows in an outdoor venue.  I guess I'd stay at home & watch Rocket Mortgage commercials; and drink.  Plus, the show designers have really capitalized on incorporating the indoor venues for some incredible "general effect" moments.  I'm definitely getting older, but my experiences include teaching/arranging for a drum corps in my younger years & band directing for some 30 years.  I am older & sometimes miss the sonority of the G bugles, but I also love the warm timbre of the Bb horns & how well they perform "in tune" centering the overall pitch.  Today's DCI product is just incredible & I hope we get to experience it in 2021.

*With that said, the worst indoor stadium for sound is in ATL; Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

:soapbox:  :peek:              

You haven't been to the Olympic Stadium in Montreal for the worst sound.  🤔  Since even the best of indoors is bad, I won't attend any DC presentation at an enclosed stadium.   

Edited by Bob P.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:31 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

You made me look, Cabs and Garfield Cadets won. And following year was at Miami which I believe was originally scheduled for New Orleans but moved. IIRC moved because of Nah ‘Lin’s segregation policies. (Just like AFL all star game was moved in 1965. That was more for outright racism)

The city changed for the good after those times. That is a sad period for New Orleans. It changed pretty quickly after 1964 but not fast enough for the incoming all star game. Amazingly the City kept changing and did not experience some of the more turbulent outcomes as many cities in the south. 

Absolute worst racism I have seen in the USA  has been in a region of the country that is North and East late 80's.

Different times though. As the south had gone through some very rough years , by the time the 80's came they had moved along on many fronts to fight racism parts of the country were still hiding the ugly side.