Should Marching Members (gasp!) UNIONIZE?

I found THIS article about one of my favorite corps and, specifically, their drum major and it prompted me to ask why members have to "negotiate" for their own experience?

"With the green light, we got to work, crafting new structures and implementing changes. We secured an extra half hour for dinner and an extra hour of free time at the end of the day, each day. We secured more free days. We received time every day in the first week for cultural development. We completely revamped our tour job system by mixing the composition of teams. We made a website of every member’s picture and information and gave everyone access to learn about each other. We built a culture of inclusivity, wholesomeness, and care for each other."

• Like 4

Who was it who used to post here about how drum corps should directly involve members in the design process?

• Like 1

If it works for them... it works... Sometimes you need input from the worker bees (in this case the members)

Have had something like this in the parade and standstill corps. Leadership asked our thoughts of what would help the corps in the long run. Suggestions made and the ones that had multiple people suggesting the same thing were acted on. Bottom line it really helped. 

Union-Related - Back in the 1950’s there was at least one Sr. Corps who was recording an album in NYC and ran into problems because the members did not belong to the Musician’s Union.  I recall reading this in Jodeen Popp’s  book (which I still have somewhere). 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

11 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Union....?  There's no money involved.   

More to the point, MMs are not employees.

• Like 1

so what DCI figure is their Hoffa.....at least until the rumors surface they are under the end zone at LOS

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Union....?  There's no money involved.   

Uh, yes there is!  Audition fees, tour fees, the money that changes hands at the gate and at the DCI end-of-year payout.

If no money is involved, MM would march for free.

• Thanks 1