Should Marching Members (gasp!) UNIONIZE?

Just now, MikeN said:

Only in Division 1, and not in all sports.

Mike

right...the post i quoted said some NCAA athletes. and the unionization attempt was on those very athletes

• Like 1

I am sure the members would be happy to pay union dues and to have a union rep with each corps making 6 figures. Then politicians would come to them before every election and promise that they will keep other musicians from performing in their territory so long as they fund their next campaign.  Then they would have to make sure the corps do not perform in "right  to work" states. Maybe force High school bands to unionize in closed shop states. Yup it is a great idea.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

I am sure the members would be happy to pay union dues and to have a union rep with each corps making 6 figures. Then politicians would come to them before every election and promise that they will keep other musicians from performing in their territory so long as they fund their next campaign.  Then they would have to make sure the corps do not perform in "right  to work" states. Maybe force High school bands to unionize in closed shop states. Yup it is a great idea.

Nailed it.

But maybe necessary in a Varsity world?

3 hours ago, totaleefree said:

Or there also exists nuance. 

I had a feeling that the OP had an ulterior motive to bring up politics, and it appears I wasn't wrong (though disappointed at being right). 

16 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

No - I have a niece who had a full athletic scholarship from a small (DivIII) school.

Are you sure its an athletic scholarship ?

I was always told that DIII schools can't offer athletic scholarships.

The NCAA's web site (ncaa.org) says that DIII schools do not offer athletic scholarships.

But that most athletes get some type of merit or "need based" financial aid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

Are you sure its an athletic scholarship ?

I was always told that DIII schools can't offer athletic scholarships.

The NCAA's web site (ncaa.org) says that DIII schools do not offer athletic scholarships.

But that most athletes get some type of merit or "need based" financial aid.

Yes, she had a full-ride swimming scholarship.

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I had a feeling that the OP had an ulterior motive to bring up politics, and it appears I wasn't wrong (though disappointed at being right). 

Sorry, but you are wrong.

Your perception doesn’t match my reality.

5 hours ago, kdaddy said:

WAT dat motive be like? :peek: